• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Violation from Delaware DOT, running a red light by video camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrad1976

I received a civil violation from the state of Delaware, for running a red light. I live in New Jersey by the way. Here is a pdf file of an example violation on Delaware's dot site.

http://www.deldot.gov/information/red_light/pdfs/notice_040105.pdf

Something is telling me to just ignore it, because to me it doesn't even seem like a real ticket. If it won't go against my driving record, than how can they flag me so I won't be able to register my car later on?

I_Got_Banned

I received a civil violation from the state of Delaware, for running a red light. I live in New Jersey by the way. Here is a pdf file of an example violation on Delaware's dot site.

http://www.deldot.gov/information/red_light/pdfs/notice_040105.pdf

Something is telling me to just ignore it, because to me it doesn't even seem like a real ticket. If it won't go against my driving record, than how can they flag me so I won't be able to register my car later on?

It won't flag your drivers license but since the can undoubtedly determine which car the violation occurred in, they can restrict your ability to register the vehicle until the citation is taken care of. That's how they do it with parking tickets.

We have not had that many RLC tickets from Delaware on this site. So without researching that state's vehicle code, I cannot comment on the legitimacy of the citation itself.

Maestro64

I have said this before...

Yes you can ignore the ticket since it is from another state and there is no proof of who was driving.

Here is the reality of the situation...

All states know this, if you do not pay all they need to do is notify your home state you have an unpaid traffic violation in their state. Your home state will contact you and tell you pay up or settle the matter with the other state or run the risk of your license being suspended. The state filing the complaint does not even have to prove it was you or even if you were notified of the violation. All they need to do is file an unpaid ticket complaint with your home state.

BTW, most of these ARC systems are not run or operated by the state they are run by private and public companies who make profits on making sure they collect money.

Think about it this way, since the companies know the above, they can easily make claims that any out of state driver ran a red light because they know your home state will not verify their claim before suspending your license, two, most people will just pay since it is a no point ticket, three, most out of state drivers are not going to return to challenge the ticket on the grounds it was not them driving.

So, either you fight and win/lose, pay as is, or ignore and pay a lot later. Those are your options.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">