• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class 2 misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lost1821

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I think I figured out that my ticket result in a class 2 misdemeanor. What does that mean for doing 87 in a 65? Will my license be taken? Will a lawyer help?

FlyingRon

Speeds that high (20 over or more than 80 MPH) are reckless driving. A lawyer may be advisable. What your options are depends highly on what court you are appearing in. If your record is otherwise clean you may be able to do VADIP in exchange for a reduced or dismissed sentence. Otherwise expect $400+ costs fines and perhaps even jail time. Around here once you get up near 100 MPH it becomes an likely sentence. Your license may or may not be suspended for six months or so (with 60 days hard suspension before they allow a restricted license).

It's technically a mandatory appearance but a lawyer can make one for you in most jurisdictions (and some of the speed trap - ticket mills like Montgomery County (Christiansburg) will let you elect to be tried in absentia).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">