• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clocked for 1.17 seconds and distance measured 0.018 miles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainylemony

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was driving on a local highway (Route 3, Philly) through a residential area with posted limit 35mph. The officer who stopped me claims I clocked at 55mph. On the ticket it says, he clocked me with a Robic SC800(a stopwatch, I assume) and miles timed = .018 and secs timed = 1.17. The type of ticket is 'other' and not vascar or radar or esp or clocked or aov. And the section under which he fined me is 3362 and sub sec 1.

My questions are:

Does this mean he was using the pacing method/ visual estimation method?

Can I contest this ticket based on the law:

'Speedometers authorized.--The rate of speed of any
vehicle may be timed on any highway by a police officer using a
motor vehicle equipped with a speedometer. In ascertaining the
speed of a vehicle by the use of a speedometer, the speed shall
be timed for a distance of not less than three-tenths of a mile.'

Does the Robic SC800 qualify as a speedometer device?

What are my chances of winning based on the above law, if at all I can use it in my argument?

This is my first driving ticket in four years since I got my DL and I don't want it on my record. Please help ASAP**************...... :(((What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

What are my chances of winning based on the above law, if at all I can use it in my argument?
Zip point zero. Robic is a timing device, measure the time a takes a vehicle to travel a specified distance, covert that to miles per hour and viola, the speed of the vehicle has been determined. It has nothing to do with a vehicles speedometer.

I would suggest talking to a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">