• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clocked and Estimated Speeding Ticket (Non-Radar)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolstorm

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I got a speeding ticket on a local street in Allson, MA on 12/14/04. It was only 100 dollars but it wasn't fair at all (I really didn't speed this time) and I do not want to get any points. Only the clocked and estaimated boxes are checked on the ticket. The radar box is not checked. I am sure he didn't use a radar. He claimed that I was going 50 on a 30 mile zone. However, the speed limit sign was not posted. It says "not posted" on the ticket as well. What requirements does he have in order to issue a ticket based upon clocked and estimated? It was on a small bridge that went up and down, and he definitely did not travel a long distance. The distance between the starting point of the bridge and where I got pulled over is 0.2 mile. I went uphill and downhill on the bridge. I was definitely not going at a speed of 50 mph. I understand he had to fill up his quota, but how could he issue a ticket based on what he saw. What defense can I give in court? Thank you for your attention.

kdawg0409

I don't know how much truth is in the site, it seems pretty legit...but anyways check this site out. It talks about when you get caught speeding near hills and bridges, ect. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you looking for but give it a try http://www.ticketkiller.com/

CdwJava

A visual estimation of speed is perfectly legitimate. It isn't as accurate as a radar or lidar device, certainly, but the foundation for an experienced officer CAN be established ... and it is not that difficult.

In fact, radar trained officers are taught to use the radar to confirm visual estimation - not to use it in lieu of visual estimation. So, any officer trained in the use of radar is very likely to also have experience in visual estimation.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">