• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"clocked" by robic @ 82.3, ticketed for 65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pfmassoc

What is the name of your state? PA
Sec. 362 sub sec (a)(2)
total fine=125.50

I was travelling at the speed of the rest of the traffic or so I thought and saw a cop car parked by the side of the road and thought nothing of it.
Miles later I was pulled over.
The ticket noted the equipment was "robic".
The police said I was going 82.3 but I was ticketed at 65 (55mph speed limit).

How accurate is that?
Is it worth fighting?

other info: miles time=.100
secs times=4.37
date equip tested=8/17/05

pfmassoc

PA

Can I get any advise on my question...please?
Is that particular device reliable?
are the timings reasonable?

thank you

CdwJava

Chances are nobody knows what "Robic" is ... I did a search and came up with all sorts of things.

What it sounds like is you were timed by a preset and premeasured and timed either vy stopwatch or by a device that records the time you traveled form one point to another and then calculates the speed based on that time.

- Carl

macmandan

yes fight it, as far as i know, you can't get an increased charge. i gotta say, being able to say i have a clean driving record is a great thing to have. it helps for jobs, and future tickets. and my clean driving record isn't because i don't get pulled over!

Robic is simply a stopwatch to measure the time it takes you to go between 2 points. The accuracy is based pretty much on the user. If you wish to argue that the officer did not know what he was doing...well I doubt you will get far.

Here is a case you might want to look at:

http://www.courts.state.pa.us/OpPosting/Superior/out/S19020_04.pdf

I have used this defense twice to get the tickets thrown out. A few things to check are the calibration station (should be on ticket) to make sure it is still approved in the PA Bulletin. The calibration date you mention was within 60 days but if you go to court, check over the calibration certificate very carefully to be sure the date is within 60 days "before" the ticket was written and all other info matches especially the serial # of the device.

Since this is a stopwatch device, I suspect it was a local officer that pulled you over. My experience has shown that they are more "revenue sensitive" than the state guys and tend to have their paperwork in order.

As far as extra cost, you have to send in the extra amount listed on back of the ticket to plead not guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">