• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collection agency collecting for 10 year old traffic ticket in arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

ber320

i got a traffic ticket in eloy, arizona in 1993 at the age of 15 and didn't pay it because i was told it was taken care of......ten years later a collection agency in eloy is trying to collect for this ticket plus interest.....isnt that past the statatue of limitations for any collection agency in the state of arizona? can they still collect for this ticket if its past the limit of time?????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ber320 said:
i got a traffic ticket in eloy, arizona in 1993 at the age of 15 and didn't pay it because i was told it was taken care of......ten years later a collection agency in eloy is trying to collect for this ticket plus interest.....isnt that past the statatue of limitations for any collection agency in the state of arizona? can they still collect for this ticket if its past the limit of time?????

My response:

Did you leave the State, or are you still in AZ? If you left the State, when did you leave?

IAAL

B

ber320

i left the state shortly after and have been living in IL for the past ten years....only a few months ago is when the collection agency contacted me via mail and that was the first i was even contacted about the tickets.......i was fifteen when it happened but I still got my drivers license in AZ after this ticket occurred....no one informed me then that i even had a ticket on my record

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ber320 said:
i left the state shortly after and have been living in IL for the past ten years....only a few months ago is when the collection agency contacted me via mail and that was the first i was even contacted about the tickets.......i was fifteen when it happened but I still got my drivers license in AZ after this ticket occurred....no one informed me then that i even had a ticket on my record

My response:

Well, then there's your answer. You see, a traffic ticket, and it's attendant "fine", are criminal in nature; i.e., while it's an "infraction", it's still a crime nonetheless.

When you left the State (which is what I suspected), the Statute of Limitations is "tolled" - - that means, the "clock" on the Statute of Limitations stops ticking.

Therefore, the Limitations period has not expired and you owe the money - - including interest.

IAAL

B

ber320

okay.....the collection agency can't prove that the tickets exist....they can't show me the tickets in question.....well they can show one of the three i received but the other two can't be found or what have you.....can they collect for all three if they can only physically show me the one???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">