• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Color-Blind Cop=No Ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Iller3257

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Travelling this weekend and got a ticket for doing 70 in a 55 :( I didn't ask to look at the radar gun (has anyone actually done this and gotten OUT of a ticket?)

The officer wrote down the wrong color of my car on the ticket.
My car is silver/gray - he wrote down TAN!

I live 5 hours away from the court, so I wont be able to appeal it in person...

HOW can I find out if my ticket is VOID due to incorrect color???

ALSO has anyone tried writing a check for a ticket, in excess of the amount? I heard that if you do that - the county can't cash your check and the ticket is never asssesed to your driving record....

HomeGuru

Iller3257 said:
What is the name of your state? OHIO

Travelling this weekend and got a ticket for doing 70 in a 55 :( I didn't ask to look at the radar gun (has anyone actually done this and gotten OUT of a ticket?)

The officer wrote down the wrong color of my car on the ticket.
My car is silver/gray - he wrote down TAN!

I live 5 hours away from the court, so I wont be able to appeal it in person...

**A: if you do not show up in court and the officer shows, the judge will adjudicate a guilty verdict. 5 hours is enough time to get to court from where you live. Just leave home hours earlier so you do not have to speed getting there.

HOW can I find out if my ticket is VOID due to incorrect color???

**A: show up to court.

ALSO has anyone tried writing a check for a ticket, in excess of the amount? I heard that if you do that - the county can't cash your check and the ticket is never asssesed to your driving record....

**A: and what makes you think that the traffic violations office cannot cash your check, pay what your owe and send you a refund on the overage. Or just keep the entire amount.

racer72

My SIL works for a county court system and she handles the payments for traffic citations. She regularly get checks for just over or just under the amount due because some folks believe that it will hold up the posting of the traffic ticket to one's driving record. She says all tickets are posted within a few weeks after the court date on the ticket whether the fine is paid or not. If the ticket is overpaid, the overpayment is returned immediately, underpayments are sent to a collection hold, the check is deposited and and a new billing for the definciency is sent out. If the underpayment is not made correct prior to the scheduled date, and if the ticket recipient does not show up in court, a $50 collection fee is added. She has had folks come in and pay $50.01 because they thought that a check 1 cent short would hold up the posting of the ticket.

I

Iller3257

If I write a check in EXCESS of the amount and the county sends me a refund but I dont cash their check the ticket is status is still in "limbo" status isnt it???

racer72

The status of the payment for the citation has no bearing on having the tickets posted on your driving record.

lwpat

"If I write a check in EXCESS of the amount and the county sends me a refund but I dont cash their check the ticket is status is still in "limbo" status isnt it???"

Sorry, doesn't work that way. This is a hoax spread around the internet.

"I didn't ask to look at the radar gun (has anyone actually done this and gotten OUT of a ticket?"

There is no requirement that the officer has to show you the reading on the radar. Another myth.

"The officer wrote down the wrong color of my car on the ticket.
My car is silver/gray - he wrote down TAN!"

The color of the car is immaterial as long as he has your name and drivers license correct. If you really want to fight the ticket the color problem might carry some weight but the officer usually wins. Your best chance is if he doesn't show up for court, which is unlikely.

If it was me I would call the clerk of court and see if I could opt for traffic school and keep the ticket off my record. You still have to pay the fine.
:D :D :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">