• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado compulsory insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

easilyused

I live in Colorado, and was just issued a traffic ticket for "failure to comply with compulsory insurance" - I was driving in a car I just bought, so I didn't have it yet added to my current car insurance policy which includes my other vehicles. If I AM insured for my other vehicles, but I was driving a car that isn't yet registered to me and I'm not insured for it, does this technically classify as failure to comply with compulsory insurance? The officer came at me fast and I think I confused her when clarifying the situation, and I think she thought I don't have any auto insurance at all, rather than having insurance, but just not covering that car, which wasn't registered to me. On the ticket, the registered owner is still the person I bought it from, not me.

Anyone have any insight into this%

Last edited:

In Colorado, the buyer of a car has certain responsibilities including (from the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles website):

Go to the county motor vehicle office, in the county in which buyer lives, to obtain a temporary permit.

Buyer must present documents received from the seller (see Seller's Responsibilities), proof of insurance, as well as Secure and Verifiable Identification, to the clerk to obtain the temporary permit.
Did you do this?

FlyingRon

You should check with your insurance company. Mine will cover me for up to ten days on new car purchases provided I go ahead before that time expires and call and add the car to the policy.

You could be getting yourself into a further mess by pointing out you didn't have legitimate registration on the vehicle.

As Melvin points out, I'd get a letter of coverage (from the date of sale) plus registration (temporary or otherwise) in your name on the car and bring that to court and show you did have insurance (if in fact your policy is like mine).

easilyused

Based on what you'd said, I checked with my insurance company and they said its within 30 days of the purchase, so I should be able to get documentation stating as much from them, which should be really all I need to show a judge after pleading not guilty, correct? thanks for the help :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">