• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redinkblot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I was pulled over in Denver by a motorcycle cop who directed me a few streets down to pull over. When I brought my car to a stop a police officer waiting in her car walked over to the motorcycle cop, they talked for a few seconds and then the cop that didn't catch me speeding came to my window. The motorcycle cop drove away before I had the chance to even question how fast I was going. She claimed that I was going 16 over the speed limit which I truly believe is incorrect. Because the cop that actually saw me speed was nowhere to be found I wasn't able to see the radar gun. Does anyone know if I have any rights here. Should I contest the ticket?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Maestro64

Your right is to confront your accusers, which is both officers including the one on the motorcycle.

The question, do you now his name or badge number so if someone shows up in court claiming to be that person can you identify them. Some time they write the officers information on the ticket who observed and who wrote the ticket. Some times it is only the one who wrote the ticket. If you choose to fight the ticket the court only notifies the one who wrote the ticket. If only one shows, then you can asks for a dismissal since they failed to allow you to confront your accuser which is the officer on the motorcycle.

if both show that you need to be prepared to attack the evidence against you. like Radar or LIDAR, if you look on the web there is lots of information on how to attach this evidence include any attempt the officer might say about his visual estimate.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The cop that made the speed observation would need to testify. There's no requirement that the ticket be made out by the one who observed the infraction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">