• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coming back to the US being charged with a misdemeanor (reckless driving)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

d_522

Hello!

I am from Europe and 6 months ago, while I was travelling the US as a tourist, I was stopped by a police officer in the state of Virginia while driving at 106mph in a 70mph limited area.

I was charged with a misdemeanor (Reckless driving) and was cited to appear in the court 2 months later. Since I came back to my country, I didn't show up (I sent a letter to the court explaining why) but I was tried in absentia. (1000$ fine and 6 months suspension time) The fine hasn't been paid yet.

My question is.. will I encounter any problem at customs in the case I try to come back to the US or get my entrance denied since i've been charged with a misdemeanor? I am wondering whether this could only apply if i try to enter thru the state of Virginia. Should I pay the fine in order to avoid any further problems? :/

Thanks in advance!

David

FlyingRon

If they tried you in absentia it is because the commonwealth waived jail time. You are not "charged" now but "convicted." Pay your fine and things will be fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">