• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fastvan67

I live in New Orleans and I have a few unpaid tickets. My lisence is suspended because of failing to show up for court. I ran into a bid of bad luck. Not my fault though.
About 8 yrs ago, while coming from Ga, (mom's house) I stopped at a gas station to gas up. Unfortunately for me, I dropped my drivers lisence. After returning home to New Orleans, I noticed I didn't have my lisence. I recalled the last place I saw it. The gas station in Ms.
I called the station and they said they didn't have a lisence there that anyone has turned in. I then went to the DMV and got a replacement.
4 yrs later, I went to the DMV to get my renual. The said my lisence was suspended for failing to pay a ticket. At this point in my life, age 25, I have never had a ticket. Seeing as to how there was also an attachment on me, they arrested me. I spent 2 days in jail and was reliest. I went back to the DMV to find out about this ticket that I was supposed to have gotten. They said it was issued in MS, 2 yrs prior. I asked to see a copy of the ticket and they showed me a scanned copy that MS has in there data base. The only thing that was right on the ticket was my SS#. Nothing else matched. MS also doesn't require a signature on the ticket either. The name was close to being right. Misspelled, but close. The car was something that wasn't in existance yet. The car discription was for a 98 Lincoln and the ticket was issued in Jan of 97. The new Lincolns weren't out yet till June.
I went to MS to get this taken care of and to show the discrepincies. They didn't care. The just wanted payment. I pled not guilty and I went home to gather information that the person they stopped was not me. Because at the time, I was at work. I got copies of my work orders from the local cable company to show where I was at the time. The next court date cam along and they said my papers were not woth there time. I returned home and explained the problem to the DMV. They said they can't do anything about MS law. Needless to say, without a drivers lisence, I lost my job. One of my job duties is driving the company truck.
Several days later, driving my own car, I was pulled over by a state trooper for having a tail light out. He asked to see my lisence and I said I don't have one. It was suspended. I explained why but I spent the night in jail anyway. I showed up for court 3 weeks later and pled guilty with an explanation. The judge gave me a nice hefty fine and sent me about my business. Sice I wasn't working at the time, I couldn't pay. I asked for Community service but was denied.
The only job I have ever had and was very good at, was doing cable. Since I lost my job, I was unable to pay my rent and was forced to move out. Since I had no money, I couldn't move to Ga to live with my mom. So, I moved my cloths that was little I can keep into my van. There I spent the last couple yrs. Just a few months ago, my van was toed away because someone thought it was abbandoned on the side of the road. I now live on the levy next to the Mississippi River.
It kinda hard to get a job if you have no mailing address unfortunately. So I just got by by begging for food and money on the side of the road. I use the computer at the local library to send email to my mom and to put in this message. I recently went to the court house again and asked for some kind of help. I told them my situation and they told me to speak to the DA. I talked to the DA and he told me to give him $100 and he would discuss it with me.
Is there anything I can do about my situation with the local law? I need to get back on my feet.

Q

qadaq

You can get a job without a mailing address. It may not be a job you want, but it's a job. There are missions and things for homeless people. They will give you food and a job. If you don't have them there hitchhike to Kansas City and go to 1108 E 10th. Arrange for all of your pay to go to paying off your fines. Once your fines are paid off you can get your license back. Once you have your license back you can go back to work for the cable company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">