• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confusion on charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

curtish

Texas. I got a ticket for the offense "failure to display". I went to the court house to plead "no contest" and pay the fine. I asked the clerk if I could read the statute that applied to my ticket. What see showed me (502.002) only pertained to "driving an unregisted vehicle". I told her that didn't fit what the officer wrote and I didn't want that on my driving record. Even the officer admitted that my vehicle was registered. She argued and INSISTED that that was the statute, so I just left. A few days later I called on the phone and had the same argument. I returned in person and for the THIRD time was argued with and told that 502.002 IS THE STATUTE. So I had the clerk write that on the ticket and initial it and I got a hearing date. I tried to explain the confusion about the charge to the judge but he didn't care. So I plead not guilty and go to a pre-jury hearing next week. At the last hearing I overhead the clerks talking about how they now file the "failure to display" tickets under to correct statute. So I'm afraid that I will go to court and they will suddenly agree with me and charge me with proper statute. I feel since they insisted three times the statute was 502.002 they have no right to change it now that I've taken off work 3 times for this situation. BTW the "Judgement" for my previous hearing only lists "failure to display" as the charge. Any suggestions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">