• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequences of multiple tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chillmanjr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi I got my license in January so I have only had it for about 7 months now and about a week ago I got a well deserved speeding ticket for going 52 in a 25 zone, but tonight I got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign even though I know I stopped. The police officer was hidden in a place where he couldn't very well see. I wanted to know the consequences of this, like if I could get my license taken away and how to fight it because I'm very upset about it. If anyone could help that would make me so relieved, thank you.

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi I got my license in January so I have only had it for about 7 months now and about a week ago I got a well deserved speeding ticket for going 52 in a 25 zone, but tonight I got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign even though I know I stopped. The police officer was hidden in a place where he couldn't very well see. I wanted to know the consequences of this, like if I could get my license taken away and how to fight it because I'm very upset about it. If anyone could help that would make me so relieved, thank you.
Your allowance for violation points goes as follows:

Maximum of 4 points in any 12 month period
Maximum of 6 points in any 24 month period
Maximum of 8 points in any 36 month period

Exceed any of those and you're looking at a mandatory 6 month suspension.

Now, with you being a newly licensed driver, your insurance premium will already take a HUGE hit with just your speeding citation :)eek: more than DOUBLE the speed limit :eek:)

On to the second one...

22450 requires meeting 2 conditions:
1. Making a complete stop where your vehicle has ceased from moving forward for a noticeable period, and...
2. Doing so before the front of your vehicle crossing the limit line (the stop line).

Arguments like yours that "the officer was hidden in a place where he couldn't very well see" will mainly work in cases where you did actually stop but you did so AFTER you crossed the line. And if he can't see the line, he cannot determine without a reasonable doubt that you violated the code section.

However, when he says "you rolled the stop" (as in never actually ceased moving), he doesn't need to see where the line is, as long as he can see even a small part of your vehicle like your bumper, or the roof of your car, or your trunk, or even your antenna, and determine that your vehicle never ceased movement (never stopped) and he testifies to that, you're toast!

I wanted to know the consequences of this
Well, obviously, at the rate of TWO in ONE week, you won't be chillman for long... Even at the rate of TWO in SEVEN months, and eventually, no company will insure you... So you can change your ways NOW, or you can end up having to walk/bike/take the bus!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">