• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ONEPICKYCHICKY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
In June I received a speeding ticket from a Maine state trooper for going 83 in a 65. While I know I was speeding, I think the 83 is definitely well over what speed I was traveling. I asked the officer how he got that information and he said they were using an airplane that tracks you at a certain spot then when you get to the next quarter mile they track you again and use the time between the 2 points to determine the speed. What exactly is used to "track" and is there the possibility of human error here? The way he described it was like pushing a button at certian intervals. Then the officer on the ground pulls you over after the pilot says the red car coming up. There was a tons of traffic when he pulled me over because it was a whole operation they had going with lots of people getting pulled over. I can't have been the only red car in the area and is there human error if the pilot hits the button a second too late? or early on the other end? How can I find out what they will have in court as evidence?? Is it a radar read out or something? Thanks!

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
In June I received a speeding ticket from a Maine state trooper for going 83 in a 65. While I know I was speeding, I think the 83 is definitely well over what speed I was traveling. I asked the officer how he got that information and he said they were using an airplane that tracks you at a certain spot then when you get to the next quarter mile they track you again and use the time between the 2 points to determine the speed. What exactly is used to "track" and is there the possibility of human error here? The way he described it was like pushing a button at certian intervals. Then the officer on the ground pulls you over after the pilot says the red car coming up. There was a tons of traffic when he pulled me over because it was a whole operation they had going with lots of people getting pulled over. I can't have been the only red car in the area and is there human error if the pilot hits the button a second too late? or early on the other end? How can I find out what they will have in court as evidence?? Is it a radar read out or something? Thanks!
If the person did hit the button a second too late or too early, does that mean you weren't speeding?

ONEPICKYCHICKY

potentially the speed could be over stated. If the distnce is timed to calculate the speed that could affect the actual number reported.

ONEPICKYCHICKY

Silverplum....
In my initial post I clearly indicate I was speeding.
You dont appear to be trying to be informative just trying to be flip. I have been driving for 23 years and never received a speeding ticket. All I am trying to do here is get some useful information about how Aviation enforcement works and insure the data is accurate to determine if I want to bother going to court. On a site for free advice on traffic violations I am looking for information not judgement. Please go help someone else.

Silverplum

Silverplum....
In my initial post I clearly indicate I was speeding.
I know. I bolded it.

ONEPICKYCHICKY said:
You dont appear to be trying to be informative just trying to be flip.
How 'bout you take care of your motives and I'll take care of mine? Hmmm? :rolleyes:

ONEPICKYCHICKY said:
I have been driving for 23 years and never received a speeding ticket. All I am trying to do here is get some useful information about how Aviation enforcement works and insure the data is accurate to determine if I want to bother going to court.
If you think you're going to cut 18 mph off your speed, I think you're fantasizing.

ONEPICKYCHICKY said:
On a site for free advice on traffic violations I am looking for information not judgement. Please go help someone else.
Who judged whom?

OHRoadwarrior

Plead not guilty. When the officer from the plane does not show up, request a dismissal. Do not admit you feel you were speeding. Acknowledge you don't know how fast you were going. If asked if you were speeding, politely reply that you can't answer that question fairly because inaccurate speculation can unfairly prejudice your case.

Which is just as good as admitting you were speeding.
It is likely that the testimony of the OP would not even be needed if a motion to dismiss is granted. This would occur before the OP would present the OP case ... so the discussion regarding the OP's opinion of the OP's speed may be moot..

Kiawah

The roadway is measured and marked, can be with short white stripes which are visible from above in an aircraft. They can clock you with a stopwatch. Speed = Distance divided by time. They know the marked distance, their stopwatch gives them the time, they can calculate your 'average' MPH over that distance. Very simple concept.

Officer in the plane/helicopter maintains visual contact with your vehicle as they call down to the officers on the ground which car to pull over, and then watch the ground officer get your correct vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">