• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting a u-turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JasonK

What is the name of your state?
Massachusetts/Cambridge

I have citation for making a u-turn where prohibited and am planning to contest it on a couple of grounds. Wondering if anyone else has any experience or suggestions.

Basically the scenario is as follows. I was on my way somewhere in the evening. I stopped at a red traffic light and realized while waiting that I was supposed to make the previous turn already. So I made a u-turn and a couple of minutes later was pulled over for doing that.

Turns out that there was u-turn prohibited sign at that intersection but it was not visible to the first few cars waiting at the traffic lights, only for cars approaching the intersection. Also, it was rather dark and as I was not exactly sure of the turn, I must have not noticed the sign paying attention to other things. Furthermore, there was very light traffic and to my judgement making a u-turn at that time was not posing any danger to anyone (I'll agree that during the day it is not a good place).

My Massachusetts driving record is spottless and my insurance reflects that. I did get few tickets in Delaware abt. 5 yrs ago but have nothing in the last 4 years anywhere in usa. What do you think are the chances of success?

cmorris

JasonK said:
Turns out that there was u-turn prohibited sign at that intersection
There was a sign prohibiting it, so I doubt it will be dismissed. You may be able to attend traffic school (if allowed) to avoid having your insurance increased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">