• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop Said That I did not Stop Properly at the Stop Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simple_male

What is the name of your state?

Missouri

Hello All,

I will appreciate any advice, comments. Last night, I was pulled over by a cop and he told me that I did not stop properly behind a stop sign before I turned right. So he gave me a citation. I thought, the officer was too harsh, provided that I don't have any ticket in my record. I did stop before the stop sign, but it was not long enough for him. He told me that I can simply pay the fine by pleading guilty, in that case, I won't go to court. Another option is, I can go to the court and plead not guilty. He also said, if I just pay the fine by pleading guilty, then it will stay in my driving record, it will add 2 points which he said it is not a big deal.

My question is, is there anything that can be done legally so that this citation does not go to my driving record?

I understand that my insurance rate may go higher, if this citation goes to my record. I don't mind paying the fine. Again, I appreciate your advices.

simple_male

Thank you for your reply. How do I find out about defense Driving thing?

I will also appreciate what others have to say. Thank you.

CdwJava

Traffic school should keep the violation from effecting your insurance. Other than that, the only way to keep it off your driving record would be to successfully challenge and beat the citation at trial.

- Carl

simple_male

Carl,

Thank you for the reply. How do I find out, whether I can start the defense driving school online now/ Do I have to call the court and find out now? What should I do? Thanks again.

CdwJava

You would have to contact the court. You might not want to do it just yet as your court may have a small list of approved classes. Contact the court and ask what the process is.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">