• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop Sent Second Ticket Through Mail? legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrgonzo

I live in florida. I received a citation for speeding almost a month ago, "unlawful speed on a county road", I paid it online a few weeks ago.

Today, nearly a month later, I got another ticket in the mail for "violation of a traffic control device" for the same incident!

Is this legal? Can they send me a ticket so late, dont they have to combine these cases so I dont have different court dates? I mean, I have to pay this or set a court date within a month - so what if a 3rd one comes? How can I fight tickets that come monthly?

More importantly, I had some words with the officer after being pulled over, and this is his way of getting back at me - on the new citation he wrote what I said to him, as if that is his case?? I mean this isn't a ticket for heckling a police officer or something, its a traffic control violation, so the fact that he put what I said on it seems to clearly point to retribution on his part - can I alert anyone of this? should I get an attorney?

Last edited:

The Occultist

They are two different charges, and the officer likely did send out the new citation within the statute of limitations (because it would be a waste of his time to do otherwise). A local traffic attorney MIGHT be able to get this citation dismissed since you paid off a citation for a similar charge regarding the same incident.

mrgonzo

Thanks occultist, yes I think I will get a traffic attorney as that way they can go to court in my place right?

What gets me is that this is clearly revenge on the officers part, and anyone standing three feet away can see that - there was absolutely no reason other than revenge for him to give me the one ticket, and then go back to his car and write another after I left. The reason was because he didn't like what I had to say, but is that ethical for police to write extra violations whether legal or not just because of what you say? To me this seems corrupt beyond belief.

Also, after our exchange of words, this officer threatened me with over $400 dollars of vehicle inspection fines if "I didn't watch what I say" - and I have a late model mint condition vehicle - there is nothing wrong with it, so this is just pure corruption.

I know this is minor in the scheme of cops tasering people, etc., but If anyone knows of a good 3rd party outlet to report this officer I'm all ears.

mrgonzo

Does anyone else think that an attorney could get the second ticket dismissed in court - considering I already paid the first, and got points for it?

When you add the points up alone it seems a judge would have a hard time with this, I mean these two tickets together are like 6 points and over 200 dollars in fines - and I was traveling at 40mph! this is very extreme for my speed.

efflandt

If you are polite and respectful to officers they might cut you some slack. Your apparent attitude is going to cause you more disappointments in life or job if you do not mature and cooperate with people (even if you do not particularly like them). If you give other people a hard time, it will bounce back at you, and you will be the one who suffers.

seniorjudge

Q: Is this legal?

A: Yes. It is two different charges.

Q: Can they send me a ticket so late, dont they have to combine these cases so I dont have different court dates?

A: No.

Q: on the new citation he wrote what I said to him, as if that is his case??

A: Standard; that's part of the report.

Q: I mean this isn't a ticket for heckling a police officer or something, its a traffic control violation, so the fact that he put what I said on it seems to clearly point to retribution on his part - can I alert anyone of this?

A: The cop followed procedure.

Q: should I get an attorney?

A: I always recommend people get a lawyer!

seniorjudge

Thanks occultist, yes I think I will get a traffic attorney as that way they can go to court in my place right?

What gets me is that this is clearly revenge on the officers part, and anyone standing three feet away can see that - there was absolutely no reason other than revenge for him to give me the one ticket, and then go back to his car and write another after I left. The reason was because he didn't like what I had to say, but is that ethical for police to write extra violations whether legal or not just because of what you say? To me this seems corrupt beyond belief.

Also, after our exchange of words, this officer threatened me with over $400 dollars of vehicle inspection fines if "I didn't watch what I say" - and I have a late model mint condition vehicle - there is nothing wrong with it, so this is just pure corruption.

I know this is minor in the scheme of cops tasering people, etc., but If anyone knows of a good 3rd party outlet to report this officer I'm all ears.

You should write the cop a thank you note and an apology.

You are lucky he didn't carry you to jail.

mrgonzo

If you are polite and respectful to officers they might cut you some slack. Your apparent attitude is going to cause you more disappointments in life or job if you do not mature and cooperate with people (even if you do not particularly like them). If you give other people a hard time, it will bounce back at you, and you will be the one who suffers.
I was polite and respectful and for that I was rewarded with a speeding ticket. This is when I said my piece. And for that, he wrote another ticket.

mrgonzo

You should write the cop a thank you note and an apology.
You are lucky he didn't carry you to jail.
Dear xxxx,

Thank you for yet another speeding ticket. As you saw on my record I had one last year too, and the year before and the year before that... and well you get the idea. I am glad my money has enabled you to buy a spiffy new patrol car and that shiny new radar gun you've always wanted.

Hopefully these possessions, and the power they enable you, bring some joy to your miserable life. Hopefully these things will make up for your small you know what, and the memories of that bully in high school, or even that slut girlfriend that cheated on you.

See you next year on quota month!

Best.

Mr. Gonzo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">