• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cope messed up court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdog9819

What is the name of your state? mn

I got a speeding ticket on the way to work yesterday and on the ticket the cop put the court date as 10/71/02... Even though there are not 71 days in a month. Can I possibly get out of this?

J

jdog9819

cop messed up court date

why do you say that...what day am I supposed to go to court to plead not guilty??

JETX

Since you have an OBVIOUS typo (and police officers are human, and can even make mistakes), call the court and find out what date your case is scheduled for.

If you don't, I can pretty much guarantee the following:
once the officer returned his copy to the court, they did set a valid date. And if you don't show up, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. Then, in a future traffic stop, your outstanding warrant will pop up and you will get to spend a few hours (or more) in the local county 'hotel'. And all the time you will be claiming, "But, you don't understand!! The ticket had an error on it!!!".

So, your choice. Get serious and take care of the problem like the mature adult you are (?), or face the above scenario.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">