• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cops allowed to hide?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywarner

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello, I am trying to find out traffic laws cops in Ohio must follow. For example, is it legal for cops to "hide" (ie..parking on the side of a car, out of sight, on private property), with or without their lights on?

I work in a small town and the cop in this small town likes to park on the streets, behind cars, behind bushes, on private property with no lights at all on, and/or even the engine running at times. He does this obviously to catch people(especially my 2nd shift coworkers) off guard. The only way I know, sometimes, that he's around is by my radar detector. He's well hidden. Is this legal?

He got me tonight for a stop sign violation. I didn't completely stop and I'm not disputing that. I will pay the $85 ticket. However, if the cop violated the law, then I shouldn't have to pay, right? Actually, this isn't about the amount of the ticket, this is about the law. Did he violate the law or am I the only one?

Thanks.

Y

ylen13

do you want them to post a sign a mile beore they set up warning you that they are going to be there so you should slow down? yes cops can hide behind cars, bushes etc. If they were required to be in plain site so you can see them a mile away they would never write single ticket for speeding.

Yes they can hide and write a lot of citations. I use to park where I could be seen and not write as many citations but I sure was a hell of a visual deterrent. I once had a couple of guys holding signs telling drivers that "cops with radar ahead." I drove over to them and their eyes got real big, they knew they were in trouble. Their mouths dropped when I thanked them and told them they we helping me slow down traffic and that was my main goal. :p

Last edited:

jaywarner

I ask a question and all I get was these pathetic replies? After reading another post on this forum, I should have known not to even bother. I am trying to learn and know my rights. No thanks to you people of course.

You are right, ylen13, if the cops were in plain sight then he wouldn't be writing many citations. However, what he would be doing and I think this is more important than writing a speeding ticket, is he would be protecting the citizens of the city he is serving. Think about it, a hidden cop is not going to prevent someone from running through a stop light as much as, say a cop parked right there by the stop light. Don't you agree? The speeding motorist could drive right through the stop light and hit another car, injuring himself or whoever's in the other car, all because he didn't see the camo'd cop car hidden in the bushes. Now whose fault would that be? Oh wait, his of course!

Now it may be perfectly legal for cops to hide up your ass and bust us traffic law violators. However, they are not doing it to protect anyone, they are only doing it to generate revenue. And that, itself, should be illegal! In my case, in which I haven't had a ticket in over 4 years, this cop had nothing but "ticket" all over his mind. He could have let me off with a warning for my politeness and for my 4 yrs of safe driving, but he would not have been doing his job, now would he?

Unless one of you is a lawyer or a cop in Ohio, I'm going to disregard what you people have to say and keep searching. And you people can go back to wondering why cops are not well liked.

dogwood

A cop once

hid in a used car sales lot...I cracked up at the people he caught...(my brother-in -law is a cop) he would blend right in with the sales lot, it was great!!

S

seniorjudge

jaywarner said:
I ask a question and all I get was these pathetic replies?
There are about 10x WTC bombings people killed each year in traffic accidents.

This cop was doing his job. You were breaking the law.

Pay up.

rmet4nzkx

Stupid responses? Wasn't it stupid knowingly breaking the law when you know the cop often waits there? The fact that you intentionally speed was evidenced by the radar detector and says a lot about you. I used to live on a street that was the last street in the area and where the speed limit suddenly dropped forn 45 to 25 as they came over the crest of the hill into the residential area, the police routinely waited during commute hours and shift changes at a local business. I never got cited in over 28 years and never had a radar detector, I just obeyed the laws.

Y

ylen13

jaywarner said:
I ask a question and all I get was these pathetic replies? After reading another post on this forum, I should have known not to even bother. I am trying to learn and know my rights. No thanks to you people of course.

You are right, ylen13, if the cops were in plain sight then he wouldn't be writing many citations. However, what he would be doing and I think this is more important than writing a speeding ticket, is he would be protecting the citizens of the city he is serving. Think about it, a hidden cop is not going to prevent someone from running through a stop light as much as, say a cop parked right there by the stop light. Don't you agree? The speeding motorist could drive right through the stop light and hit another car, injuring himself or whoever's in the other car, all because he didn't see the camo'd cop car hidden in the bushes. Now whose fault would that be? Oh wait, his of course!

Now it may be perfectly legal for cops to hide up your ass and bust us traffic law violators. However, they are not doing it to protect anyone, they are only doing it to generate revenue. And that, itself, should be illegal! In my case, in which I haven't had a ticket in over 4 years, this cop had nothing but "ticket" all over his mind. He could have let me off with a warning for my politeness and for my 4 yrs of safe driving, but he would not have been doing his job, now would he?

Unless one of you is a lawyer or a cop in Ohio, I'm going to disregard what you people have to say and keep searching. And you people can go back to wondering why cops are not well liked.
Cop have couple of options the way he enforces the law. 1)sit in plain view and pull over those that don't slow down, he can hide and pull over and punishment those that brake the law with a fine. Both of this action enforces the law and keep public safe. Yes they are giving you a ticket for revenue and guess what there is nothing you can do about it, its there choice if they want to give a warning or give you a ticket. If you don't like the way law is being enforced then get the law change so they can't enforce in the way you feel they shouldn't be able to.

LawGirl10

jaywarner said:

God, somebody please get me a dose of extra strength Tylenol.

K

Kwater

This doesn't help you in OHIO unless they have similar laws but in Georgia the only cops allowed to "hide" are the Georgia State Patrol Troopers. There are strict laws on all other Georgia law enforcement officers which strictly state they MUST be visible for 500 feet and MUST not be obstructed from view from approaching motorists. That is the law in Georgia as it applies to all city, county, deputy and college campus officers. Maybe OHIO has something similar. It would be worth checking.

Kenneth Waters

Last edited by a moderator:
S

seniorjudge

Kwater said:
This doesn't help you in OHIO unless they have similar laws but in Georgia the only cops allowed to "hide" are the Georgia State Patrol Troopers. There are strict laws on all other Georgia law enforcement officers which strictly state they MUST be visible for 500 feet and MUST not be obstructed from view from approaching motorists. That is the law in Georgia as it applies to all city, county, deputy and college campus officers. Maybe OHIO has something similar. It would be worth checking.

Kenneth Waters,

Please cite the GA statutes that state this. Thank you.

K

Kwater

<<<Please cite the GA statutes that state this. Thank you>>>

Dear Senior Judge: Here is the Georgia Statute that states this. I provided a hyperlink so you can verify it for yourself.

Kenneth Waters
<http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=40-14-7>

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">