• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cops says I ran a stop sign, I didn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jdolittle69

I live in New York

I live in a city/town. On the corner where I pulled up to the stop sign, There is a big church on the right side of my corner. The cop was perpendicular to me coming at my intersectcion from the right.

The cop coming towards the 4-way stop. The big building, is on the corner right next to me. I stopped before the stop sign ( as taught in driver ed.) When stopped before it, the building obstructs all view from the right. AKA the cop couldn't see me. Then I crep forward, checked for cars and then went. From the cops point of veiw, all he saw was when I crept forward (cleared where the building was hiding me) slow rolling, then taking off. SO to him it looked like I ran a stop sign.

I don't have the money for a lawyer, and being a traffic ticket, there isn't a public defender. So how do I go about it. Can I plead not guilty, and then go to trial. But without a lawyer what would I do. Just explain the situation? There going to believe the cop ever a citizen anyways. So do I need to like draw charts and **** to present. Seems sorta high up there for a traffic ticket, but I can't afford the points.

Thanks for you advice. I appreciate it.

JD

Last edited:

JustAPal00

I live in New York

I live in a city/town. On the corner where I pulled up to the stop sign, There is a big church on the right side of my corner. The cop was perpendicular to me coming at my intersectcion from the right. so from a plus sign --- + ----cop-----
me

sorry for the poor drawing. The cop coming towards the 4-way stop. The big building, is on the corner right next to me. I stopped before the stop sign ( as taught in driver ed.) When stopped before it, the building obstructs all view from the right. AKA the cop couldn't see me. Then I crep forward, checked for cars and then went. From the cops point of veiw, all he saw was when I crept forward (cleared where the building was hiding me) slow rolling, then taking off. SO to him it looked like I ran a stop sign.

I don't have the money for a lawyer, and being a traffic ticket, there isn't a public defender. So how do I go about it. Can I plead not guilty, and then go to trial. But without a lawyer what would I do. Just explain the situation? There going to believe the cop ever a citizen anyways. So do I need to like draw charts and **** to present. Seems sorta high up there for a traffic ticket, but I can't afford the points.

Thanks for you advice. I appreciate it.

JD
Exactly! Take pictures, draw maps, anything that can explain to the judge what happened. I beat a ticket before, doing just that!

J

Jdolittle69

should I present these as I plead not guilty, or just wait till a trial date.. I mean maybe he would drop the charge as is then?

Cool, I forgot about those things called cameras. ha..

JD

JustAPal00

Plead not guilty! Then dress well, be polite, and show the judge everything you can come up with that will show how the officer made a mistake.

TRS1964

Is There A Stop Line?

Most, but not all, stop signs also have a "stop line", which is usually just a single white line showing you where to stop your vehicle before you proceed. Make sure you include that in your charts, diagrams, photos and measurements. Bring a tape measure and make measurements.

Hey There

dolittle,
10-13-07

In the town I live in , at several intersections it is difficult and sometimes impossible to see cross traffic because of cars parked on the street. At these intersections a driver usually has to make a stop behind the white line, and a second stop beyond the white line to see if it is safe to proceed. Even though these intersections have a two way stop rather than a four way stop as in your case the parked cars obstructing the officer's view might find me facing the same issue as you .
When you are cited for a traffic violation one of the options is to plead not guilty. On your traffic ticket there should be instructions on how to enter a NOT GUILTY plea and the TIME LIMIT that you have to do so.
At Google, by typing in Traffic Tickets in New York and clicking on the website New York Traffic Tickets -NY DMV Traffic Violation Guide DMV.ORG you will find information on tickets in New York State.
This is a start.
Traffic tickets in New York state are heard by a County court, Town Court,City or Village Court and in a few cities by the Traffic Violations Bureau. A court clerk, while not able to advise you about legal issues, can give you information regarding the rules of the court where your traffic ticket trial will be held.

ENLARGED photos of the intersection showing how the officer's view was obstructed by the building should be included to establish the that the officer's view was obstructed.

Discovery MAY be available in New York State. This means that you can request the officer's notes,and all other information he plans to use at trial. How to file can be found on websites by going to Google and typing in Discovery For Traffic Tickets .The first five websites have extensive information on how to file for Discovery.If discovery isn't available, a public records request can be filed.

How to prepare for trial and how to cross-examine the officer if he is present at your trial is as near as your local library. The library should have the book (or be able to obtain it from another library ) published by NOLO on how to contest your ticket in court and win.

Time invested in searching for information and reading and using that information can be considered as paying yourself instead of a lawyer or the courts. That said , some lawyers will offer a free consultation or charge a nominal fee for one.

Good Luck onThis.
Regards,
Hey Therre

Shay-Pari'e

Today, 08:53 AM
Jdolittle69
Junior Member Join Date: Oct 2007

Youthful Offender status, being released.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in New York.

Anyways,

I was sentenced for a Feloney a few months ago (JUNE?), I took a plea offer including youthfull offender status and did a few weeks in jail. I told my employer that I needed personal time off(the court gave me a week to notify my employer), and made up some story as to why. When I got out of jail, and returned to work, she fired me. So a few questions I have for this one.

1. She "called me out" when I returned about lying to her. I acted clueless. She says "well one of my sources told me you were in Jail, so I called the jail..." The jail confermed.

Is the Jail allowed to just publicly announce that I am in Jail on a phone call. Even though they may have not said why, it still sort of defeats the point of YO status, because then people ask questions. So obviously if the jail wasn't supposed to, I would file suit for loss of wages etc...

2. Ever since this jail sentence, I have had a trouble of a time getting another job. I have applyed at 15 places total, all various positions. I have never had problems in the past getting a job. I started assuming my previous boss might be telling new employers (that call for reference check) what she new. So, I called a lawyer for civil lid. and he said if I could a catch her doing it on recording, we'd definetly be in business. I had someone call, she didn't say anything incriminating. I'll be trying again soon.

But to the question. If the jail isn't in the wrong, is there anything at this point, without the recording of her, that I might be able to do. Or how about this "source" of hers. If it was someone in the system, then that has to be illegal with me having Y.O. status.

I apoligize for the un-needy length of this. thanks for your time reading it. I appreciate any feedback. Also, if this should be in a different section, just let me know.

JD

Edit: Again, this could go in labor law section but, she said she

Shay-Pari'e

Does it get any better?

Jdolittle69
Junior Member Join Date: Oct 2007

One minor question about vehicle searches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York

I am taking law classes in college, and I know about procedures, and seraches, and all that fun stuff (sarcasm) but I never learned about the K-9 search.

I know you can refuse a search, but can K-9's just sniff around if they want. And then if they bark they have the probable cause. Or are the K-9s just a scare tactic?

Also,

If you get pulled over, and they think you are drinking, so they conduct subriety tests etc... but you pass them all, can talk strait, and don't smell of alcohal. Then can they give you a breathalizer? Isn't that considered a search since its a "search of your body" and since you passed everything else, would they have the probable cause to do that?

Thanks

JD

TX Driver

There going to believe the cop ever a citizen anyways.
Not necessarily. If you can draw diagrams, take photos of the intersection from your vantage point and the officer's, you may be able to have it dismissed. You have a very valid point (unlike a lot of posters on here who claim profiling and police wrong-doing and what-not). Good luck presenting your case.

J

Jdolittle69

ok shay parie'

what s with the copy and pasting. are you trying to be ****y or something. So what, I asked questions.... thats what this forum is for right? I have 1 current question and then just a bunch I have always wondered about. Whats the deal.

JD

patstew

So what, I asked questions.... thats what this forum is for right? I have 1 current question and then just a bunch I have always wondered about. Whats the deal.JD
The deal is that you "highjacked" the original poster's thread and changed the subject. It's okay to ask questions -- that is, indeed, what this forum is for -- but start your own thread if it's about a different subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">