• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could this have been entrapment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsim1

What is the name of your state? RI

I was driving home from a bar at approximately 1 am in the morning this weekend. I had only 2 beers over the course of several hours, so I wasn't intoxicated. The road I was on is notorious for police because it passes by the URI campus, so I set my cruise control at 27, where the speed limit was 25. I passed through a speed trap but neither cop pulled out (one was already giving someone a ticket.) About a half mile down the road I looked in my rear view mirror and I realized that a cop was tailgating me so closely that I couldn't see his headlights. About another half mile down the road, I turned onto a different highway where the speed limit was 40 mph. I sped up to the speed limit, but the officer was still following me. At this point I wasn't sure if he was trying to pass me because his lights weren't on, so I pulled over to let him go by. However, he just stayed in the road stopped. Since he didn't pass me I pulled back out on the highway and took the next right down a small road. The officer continued to follow me. I was so nervous that I pulled down the nearest dirt road, not knowing what it was. It turns out that it was a driveway, but I couldn't backtrack at this point. The cop kept going, so I pulled all the way up behind a set of trees and shut my car off. To my surprise, I saw the officer's lights through the woods and realized that he had followed me up. However, I was so far up that he didn't see me and turned around and left. The whole time he had never put his lights on for me to pull over. After I let some time elapse, I returned home. Now, I know that if I wasn't doing anything wrong, I should have just kept going, but I was so nervous. After I pulled up the driveway I thought that he might be able to arrest me for trespassing. Is this legal for officers to do? I feel like I was profiled and that an officer wouldn't have done that if I was elderly.

LawGirl10

jsim1 said:
What is the name of your state? RI

I was driving home from a bar at approximately 1 am in the morning this weekend. I had only 2 beers over the course of several hours, so I wasn't intoxicated. The road I was on is notorious for police because it passes by the URI campus, so I set my cruise control at 27, where the speed limit was 25. I passed through a speed trap but neither cop pulled out (one was already giving someone a ticket.) About a half mile down the road I looked in my rear view mirror and I realized that a cop was tailgating me so closely that I couldn't see his headlights. About another half mile down the road, I turned onto a different highway where the speed limit was 40 mph. I sped up to the speed limit, but the officer was still following me. At this point I wasn't sure if he was trying to pass me because his lights weren't on, so I pulled over to let him go by. However, he just stayed in the road stopped. Since he didn't pass me I pulled back out on the highway and took the next right down a small road. The officer continued to follow me. I was so nervous that I pulled down the nearest dirt road, not knowing what it was. It turns out that it was a driveway, but I couldn't backtrack at this point. The cop kept going, so I pulled all the way up behind a set of trees and shut my car off. To my surprise, I saw the officer's lights through the woods and realized that he had followed me up. However, I was so far up that he didn't see me and turned around and left. The whole time he had never put his lights on for me to pull over. After I let some time elapse, I returned home. Now, I know that if I wasn't doing anything wrong, I should have just kept going, but I was so nervous. After I pulled up the driveway I thought that he might be able to arrest me for trespassing. Is this legal for officers to do? I feel like I was profiled and that an officer wouldn't have done that if I was elderly.
Yes, it is legal. No, it is not entrapment. They are allowed to follow you and observe your driving.

I hate it when they do that. You need to just keep your cool, be careful and obey the laws.

He probably got your plates and can/will find you if he wants to file an evading charge :D

jsim1

I can understand if an officer thought I was evading if they had their lights on, but that was never the case-- and the driveway I pulled into could have been my own, or I at least could have been visiting (I am registered in CT). I am definitely hoping I don't get something in the mail...

LawGirl10

jsim1 said:
I can understand if an officer thought I was evading if they had their lights on, but that was never the case-- and the driveway I pulled into could have been my own, or I at least could have been visiting (I am registered in CT). I am definitely hoping I don't get something in the mail...
I would say your actions were enough to create reasonable suspicion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">