• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a couple quick questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bomber929

What is the name of your state? MA

Okay i actually posted on this site maybe two weeks ago where i asked for an opinion on a speeding ticket im trying to fight that will cause me to lose my license( im only 17, 18 in september) and i only got one reply before the topic got deleted and it was pretty much "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" type thing so i never really got time to "debate" about it but thats not why im here.
I was actually wondering if there was anyway to get tried as an adult? (I know i always hear about the kids around my age that do something thats actually bad and the prosecutors try to get them tried as adults but they end up getting treated as minors) i have a feeling its not possible but i want to try to fight this. I normally wouldn't try this hard to keep something like this but i need it and as i said in my previous topic i work full time, and go to high school and college at the same time so if i lose my license im for lack of a better word, screwed. Thank you once again for your input and i will be back on to reply within the next day, thanks again.

One more quick question. Im not too sure how familiar any of you are with Massachusetts law but it is anyone under 18 that loses their license? Because about half the people i talk to about this kind of stuff that got a ticket within the past month(under 18) kept their license but then the other half lost theirs so i am kind of lost on how this works. Is there anyway to tell what would happen before i go to court, like can i see if i am actually going to lose my license( the officer never even told me anything along those lines)

im sorry but i keep thinking of questions. What would be the best type of clothes to wear to court, like i have suits and all that good stuff(i work at Brooks Brothers so i have a "Professional" wardrobe) but i don't want to over dress and go in one of my suits or should i just go in like chinos and a dress shirt type thing. Im just trying to find anything that might help me. Thanks again, that should be the last question... for now

FlyingRon

Unless you're talking about tuxedos, it's hard to overdress for court.
Business attire (that's lawyer business attire not McDonald's buisness attire) is customary. I've worn such at every court date I have ever gone to as a defendant, a witness, an observer, etc... it's never been an issue.

Orcons

My understanding is that if you have a junior operating license (known as a JOL in MA) you are SOL. It is also my understanding that you have a JOL until you are 18.

As far as getting "tried as an adult" as you put it, the distinction is not adult or minor, it is JOL or not, so you would be asking to be tried as if you had a different license than you have. In any case, the switch from trying as a minor to trying as an adult is because penalties in those cases are greater as an adult. You would be asking to be tried under a status with less severe penalties and if that were possible, why wouldn't everyone want to do that?

Bomber929

thanks for the replies,
-about the JOL i wasn't too sure on how they viewed licenses so i was just confirming that it wouldn't be possible to be doing that, as i said i am trying to find any way.
-about clothes, i wasn't too sure how people actually dressed for court due to the fact that i've never been to court and you can't always trust what goes on TV. i'll just wear my suit, thanks

but one question didn't get answered. does anyone know why that some of my peers can get away with speeding and some can't? like i have two friends that got pulled over on the same road less than a week apart(this is a speed trap that they set up(goes from 45 to 25 in less than like 400yds and then back up to 40 like 100yds later)) they were going roughly the same speed but the one that went a little slower lost their license while the other kept theirs. So im just wondering if theres any rhyme or reason to why one can keep a license for the same offense as another.

thanks again

garrula lingua

The disparity might be the amout of mph over the speed limit, or simply different Judges showing their separate attitudes toward suspension of DLs.
(For instance, in CA, if you're 15 or more mph over the speed limit, the Judge may not allow traffic school ...)

This is important to you.
Take a day off before your court appearance and go to juvie traffic court.
Sit and watch. If they don't let you in (juvie proceedings can be closed) talk to the court staff you can reach.
If you can, ask the bailiff (or other court staff) whether a defendant can do any type of diversion program - safe driving classes, whatever, to avoid a DL suspension. Ask what your Judge would probably do in your speeding situation.
Ask them if hiring an atty helps in the ticket disposition.

Some jurisdictions have Prosecutors in traffic court; some juvenile courts have a 'teen court' for minor offenses. Almost all juvie courts are very strict on traffic offenses (because so many teens die in auto accidents). Find out about your court.
If there's a Prosecutor, ask to speak with the Pros. before you plead & explain that you are trying to keep up your job, high sch & college & what, if anything, can you do to keep your DL.

Wear the suit. If you get the chance, tell the Judge you need your car to get to work, high school and community college & if there a way to get a restricted DL...

You can also try to approach the cop that gave you the ticket and ask him/her what, if anything, you can do to keep your DL. Go down to the cop shop and explain your problem to the desk sergeant/person @ reception & ask if you can talk to a traffic patrol cop about what your sentence might be - tell them you're trying to work, go to hs & college & you've never been in trouble before. Maybe you'll meet a 'Carl' behind the counter.

If you're out of options, plead not guilty - the cop may not show up at court & the ticket would then be dismissed. (If there's any major sports event occurring in your area on the day of trial, send your cop two free tickets to the game with a note saying he won the local newspaper contest ... maybe he won't go to court :))

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">