• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Course of Action: Ticket for Not Stopping at Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jangajarn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I recently got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I accept that I am guilty of the charge, but am going to try my luck fighting it in court, as I don't want the points. After doing some research in internet, I have come up with a course of action, and want you guys to tell me if that is going to work out or not.

(1) Request for discovery. This way I know if the cop has accurate record of events that happened. I am going to do this probably 10 days before my court date is due.
(2) Hoping that I don't get a response that quickly, I will request for continuance saying that I need more evidence (do I do this in court in front of judge, or can I do it through a clerk)?
(3) If he has good evidence (no chance for me to win), can I appear in court and provide an explanation pleading guilty (I was sick that day, and I have proof for that)? In addition, since I am a student with minimum stipends, I am going to request the judge to decrease my penalty. If I do this, would the judge be mad and make no changes in the ticket? (because I could have done this by pleading guilty with explanation without wasting the officers time & the judge's time).
(4) Alternatively, if the cop has good evidence, I appear in court & request for probation before judgement. How do I say that?

PS. The very reason I am trying go to court is on the hope that the officer does not show up. The clerk said traffic school is not an option in Maryland. Finally, somebody said that you can get to check the officers schedule & fix a court date which would clash with his assignments & so he doesn't appear in court. How do I do that?

Thank you so much for responding!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

You do know that all the evidence needed to convict you is the officers expert testimony that he observed you committing the violation? I'm not sure what "evidence" you intend to find during discovery or "generate" during your continuance.

What on earth with you being "sick" that day have to do with your guilt or that would mitigate the sanctions? This isn't elementary school where you can get off with a note from mommy.

Yes showing up, being polite, and not trying to game the system may indeed net you PBJ on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">