• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frnklydlft

Town and Country, Missouri

I'm sure this is just something i have to accept and deal with, but I am 17 and got a ticket for 75 in a 60 from and unmarked cop, and for some reason, in the town where i live, just because i am 17, a court appearance is mandatory (with a parent). This seems ridiculous that for 15 mph over I am forced to go to court. It doesn't seem right that just because i am 17 i must make an appearance for a violation that would not require a court appearance if i were older. As I said, its probably just the way it goes and i have to make an appearance, I was just wondering if this could be seen as some sort of age discrimination, it seems like a silly rule.

Also, if i have to make a court appearance, is it still possible to have a lawyer fix the ticket so i don't get any points, or is traffic school the only way to keep the ticket from adding points to my record? Thanks

Rochelle

You are a juvenile and therefore your parents are required to be with you. Legally, they are responsible for you. You got caught speeding. You broke the law and now must face the punishment. No, your lawyer can not "fix" the ticket.

Be glad you got a ticket and didn't get into a wreck. Too often hear we hear people say "I didn't realize I was going that fast" after they have plowed into someone else. Maybe you'll be more careful. My daughter got a speeding ticket and she lost her car for two months. Nothing like having to ride the bus to school to make her be more careful.

D

DRN

It's not speeding that causes accidents... it's bad drivers. Those bad drivers may be speeding, but it's their lack of ability to drive or to think and act quickly are the reasons for the accidents.

I am 48 years old and I have been driving since I was 14. I speed all the time (except local street) because frankly, I'm a damn good driver and the only thing speed limits do for me is take up more of my time. The only speed limit I recognize is what I am incapable of doing.

How many accidents have I had in my driving career? One - when I was 15.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DRN said:
It's not speeding that causes accidents... it's bad drivers. Those bad drivers may be speeding, but it's their lack of ability to drive or to think and act quickly are the reasons for the accidents.

I am 48 years old and I have been driving since I was 14. I speed all the time (except local street) because frankly, I'm a damn good driver and the only thing speed limits do for me is take up more of my time. The only speed limit I recognize is what I am incapable of doing.

How many accidents have I had in my driving career? One - when I was 15.
My response:

Typical, arrogant, New Yorker with a "watch out for me, because I'm more important than you" attitude.

I sincerely hope that you don't kill the family walking across the street, using the crosswalk, because you weren't able to stop in time. Speed does kill. Vehicles can only stop after a certain amount of distance, and distance is determined by speed.

You're really not a good driver - - you're just lucky. But one day, that "luck" is going to run out.

IAAL

D

DRN

You don't read very well, do you? I said I speed but not on local streets.

And yes, I'm a good driver. I think fast, I act fast, I keep my eyes open, I use my mirrors, I anticipate, I can judge distances well, Iknow what my vehicle is capable of doing, I know how it corners, etc etc etc

If you think that knowing how well I can drive is arrogance, so be it. I call it self-assured.

And frankly, whatever you call it doesn't change the fact that I'm a good enough driver to speed and not get in accidents, and you probably are not. But I guess it's good for you that you know your limitations.

Thirty-odd years of driving with no accidents is not luck, pal... it's skill.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DRN said:
You don't read very well, do you? I said I speed but not on local streets.

And yes, I'm a good driver. I think fast, I act fast, I keep my eyes open, I use my mirrors, I anticipate, I can judge distances well, Iknow what my vehicle is capable of doing, I know how it corners, etc etc etc

If you think that knowing how well I can drive is arrogance, so be it. I call it self-assured.

And frankly, whatever you call it doesn't change the fact that I'm a good enough driver to speed and not get in accidents, and you probably are not. But I guess it's good for you that you know your limitations.

Thirty-odd years of driving with no accidents is not luck, pal... it's skill.
My response:

You just proved my point about New Yorkers, "Pal."

IAAL

D

DRN

You accuse me of speeding on local streets (kill in crosswalk), I point out your error (I speed but not on local streets), and you ignore that, don't admit your mistake and renew your other false statement, that being your prejudiced view of New Yorkers.

You couldn't admit you made a mistake and you call me arrogant.

You look down on all New Yorkers and you call me arrogant.

Fine, I'll be arrogant. It's better than being you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DRN said:
You accuse me of speeding on local streets (kill in crosswalk), I point out your error (I speed but not on local streets), and you ignore that, don't admit your mistake and renew your other false statement, that being your prejudiced view of New Yorkers.

You couldn't admit you made a mistake and you call me arrogant.

You look down on all New Yorkers and you call me arrogant.

Fine, I'll be arrogant. It's better than being you.
My response:

I don't give a rat's ass where you speed, whether on the streets or on the Freeways or Tollways. It doesn't matter with your attitude. It never mattered. So what if you'll never see a family in a crosswalk on a tollway? What the hell does it matter if you rearend another vehicle at 90 miles per hour? Okay, is that better for you?

You know, sometimes, I get arrogant New Yorkers (transplants) in deposition and I just let them talk, like you, on the record.

Then, if I'm lucky enough to get them in the witness stand at trial, they start changing their tune in front of a jury and they're so polite and remorseful - - then, I start reading passages from their deposition transcript to the jury.

Arrogance and stupidity know no bounds - - especially for New Yorkers.

IAAL

D

DRN

Oh... and Californian's are noted for their intellectual powers... especially on the beach, huh?

Call me anything you want.... I am most likely a better driver than you are. I was taught by a professional racer.

And your prejudice about New Yorkers is well-known to us. We don't mind - jealousy is just one more thing we have to deal with. I saw in the Army, I've seen it in other states... they think everyone from New York is arrogant and/or criminal.

That fact is: New York is a tough place to make it, that is, be successful, and most can't do it. That's probably why you're in California. And that's why everyone else is so bitter.

But, as I said, it's good that you know your limitations. You probably see a lot of them.

M

madddaddy

can we share the rainbow that is called Noo Yawk?

Ah the joys of embracing a culture different then ours.

If we show those arrogant noo yawkers our soft touchy feely side they will see the joy we have for our fellow man.

we southerers love to tick off dem yankees, by driving 40 is the far left lane on the hiway, we love to stop on the acceleration lane so these damn impatient yankees can hit us from behind and we can make some money.

we love our drinking and driving, maybe you yankees sholud come down here and see what its really like at 2 am on a friday or staurday night on the roads. I guarentee you will run back for the safety of the streets of Manhattan!

Rochelle

Hey, IAAL, don't waste any more time with this one. Some people are always right, no matter how wrong they are. Until it happens to him, he believes it will never happen. Unfortunately, it may mean someone else will have to suffer as well.

P

plifter

If speed kills why have traffic fatalities been on the decline while highway speed limits have been raised?:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">