• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court is closed at date and time stated on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ogin

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was pulled over last night for speeding. The officer handed me my ticket and told me to appear in court on Tuesday at 5 pm. However, the date on the ticket is actually for Wed, 3-7-07, and on Wed the court closes at 4.

What happens now?

I do plan to fight this ticket in some manner, it is my first time being pulled over. Perhaps traffi school or a stay of judification because I am not a speed demon. I almost never speed unless traffic happens to be moving very fast.

My passenger in the car with me also stated that from her view, my speedometer read 60 and I understand this could have meant I was really going somewhere between 63-65 because of the angel she is looking at the speedometer, but that's not nearly close to the 75 I got cited for.

I am not blaming the officer, it's his job to make sure the roads are safe and if I really was going that fast, I thank him for calling it to my attention. However, I'm a very self aware and conscious driver and feel a little upset that for my first offense I'm getting punished so harshly. I would really like to keep my clean record, clean.

Thank you for all of your help.What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was pulled over last night for speeding. The officer handed me my ticket and told me to appear in court on Tuesday at 5 pm. However, the date on the ticket is actually for Wed, 3-7-07, and on Wed the court closes at 4.

What happens now?

I do plan to fight this ticket in some manner, it is my first time being pulled over. Perhaps traffi school or a stay of judification because I am not a speed demon. I almost never speed unless traffic happens to be moving very fast.

My passenger in the car with me also stated that from her view, my speedometer read 60 and I understand this could have meant I was really going somewhere between 63-65 because of the angel she is looking at the speedometer, but that's not nearly close to the 75 I got cited for.

I am not blaming the officer, it's his job to make sure the roads are safe and if I really was going that fast, I thank him for calling it to my attention. However, I'm a very self aware and conscious driver and feel a little upset that for my first offense I'm getting punished so harshly. I would really like to keep my clean record, clean.

Thank you for all of your help.What is the name of your state?
Do you have a phone? I guess the smart thing to do would be to use that phone and the number on the ticket to call and......well let's see if you can fill in the blanks.:rolleyes:

Ogin

I have thought of that, but if there's a chance I show up at say, ten minutes before 4 on Wed and bring the incorrect date and time to the clerk's attention. Do you think there's a chance they'll dismiss the ticket on that alone since everyone is going home in ten minutes and no one is going to be around at 5 pm to hear my plea?

I don't want to ruin my chances of perhaps using this as a loop hole if I bring it to their attention and they say, "Just come on Tuesday then" and I still have my ticket.

But thank you for your reply, I have definantly considered calling.

BelizeBreeze

I have thought of that, but if there's a chance I show up at say, ten minutes before 4 on Wed and bring the incorrect date and time to the clerk's attention. Do you think there's a chance they'll dismiss the ticket on that alone since everyone is going home in ten minutes and no one is going to be around at 5 pm to hear my plea?

I don't want to ruin my chances of perhaps using this as a loop hole if I bring it to their attention and they say, "Just come on Tuesday then" and I still have my ticket.

But thank you for your reply, I have definantly considered calling.
Of course you can try that little ploy. And the judge will ask why you didn't call the court and confirm the date and time since you already knew there was a confilct?

And your HONEST answer, which will piss off the judge, will be "Because I wanted to try and get out of the charge based on a technically."

Wonder how that will play in Peoria?

Ogin

Very good point. I'll make sure to call tomorrow when court is open and see what's up. Thank you.

Ogin

I don't suppose anyone else has any more information for me. Things I could do to keep the ticket from going on my record (and most importantly keeping 2 points off my license!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">