• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Costs (Virginia)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pgclips

Virginia--When I called the district court about defending a ticket, the clerk told me that the judge could impose costs above and beyond the $61 processing fee that would be charged if pled guilty before trial. This seems unfair. Regardless, the clerk refused to tell me what the judge charges, typically charges, or even has ever charged. Does anyone know?

FlyingRon

The judge doesn't have the power to adjust the costs up or down. They are set by the state legislature. An appearance for a traffic infraction is a fixed fee is $61 whether you go to court or not. There may be a $5 fee charged additionally (again whether you go or not).

pgclips

Court Cost (Virginia)

What part is unfair?
It would be unfair to charge a convicted speeder more just because he exercised his right to defend himself. However, FlyingRon says that there is no extra charge, so maybe the court clerk was mistaken (or deliberately trying to discourage me from contesting the ticket).

By the way, are or were you really a judge? If so, that's great that you are willing to participate in this forum. In what jurisdiction do or did you serve?

Last edited:

Hey There

pgclips

For information on a poster click on the dot next to their name.
A window will appear. Click on Public Profile. Some provide info, some don't. You can also view all posts and treads made by the poster by clicking on view all posts.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">