• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Speeding Ticket in Arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jill82

i received a criminal speeding ticket in arizona going 93 in a 75 mph zone, according to the cop. i am only 19 years old with no record, just went to traffic school 2 years ago. the cop that pulled me over was rude and his conduct was uncalled for. i did not know my speed when i was clocked, and i'm afraid that in court he is not going to let the judge lessen the charge. in court what is the best way to ask the judge to reduce the charge/fine and not get points on my license? are there specific laws regarding this? i need more information about criminal speeding in arizona. if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

V

Vincent Cosent

Checking with local attorney is easy. If you have time libraries sometimes have state statutes or even the courthouse or college. What reason would you give the judge to reduce anything if you could? Just wondering!

D

drtan

Vincent,
I think that is what he wanted to know too! He asked "In court what is the best way to ask the judge to reduce the charge/fine and not get points on my license?"

racer72

You are going to have to prove that you were not speeding. The officers testimony is considered proof of offense. You must prove the officer wrong. And you will need more than just your word. But, I have seen folks in court as the judge to exchange a guilty plea to a lesser offense and have the judge agree. You should seriously consider hiring an attorney familiar with the laws of Arizona.

V

Vincent Cosent

Wait Wait

Reducing charges on a speeding ticket is something I've never heard of. In criminal cases it happens but is not something the defendant asks the judge to do. It's usually offered by the prosecution in return for a guilty plea. Speeding tickets usually have fines based on speed graduations set by law.

D

dubhloaich

I think the question is about the criminal part. I have a friend with the Forest Service who does that in certain areas, too. He works a nasty, windy forest service road on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska. If he catches you doing over 75, he'll hit them with a criminal charge, a misdemenor as opposed to a simple non-criminal citation. He says he's seen too many people die.

Anyhow, the way I read it, I think she just want to try to get the criminal part dropped - BTW how do you NOT realize you're doing over 90? Maybe if you've got a Lexus, I guess.

Anyhow, maybe she could contact the prosecutor before court and see if she can plead it down to a regular speeding ticket. Might be one of those case where, when you consider the fine and the impact to her insurance rate, it might be worth contacting a lawyer. She probably has to show up in court for this one anyhow.

V

Vincent Cosent

Thanks Dubh..

Thanks for clearing this up for me and the poster. And congratulations on your moms case to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">