• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cross two double yellows to turn into driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tobbylee1

I thought it was legal to cross double yellow lines only if you are turning into a driveway. I got a ticket today in Cerritos, CA for turning left into a driveway across two double yellow lines. I'm most likely wrong about this since I got a ticket but I thought I check for some advice.

CdwJava

I thought it was legal to cross double yellow lines only if you are turning into a driveway. I got a ticket today in Cerritos, CA for turning left into a driveway across two double yellow lines. I'm most likely wrong about this since I got a ticket but I thought I check for some advice.
Was this two sets of parallel double yellows?

What section were you cited for?

- Carl

tobbylee1

I was on Studebaker going N right before South Street. There's a parking before the Sazuki dealer for a school program and I turned left into the parking lot. I was cited for 21651(a)(2)

CourtClerk

21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more
roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing
section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or
delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the
roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following:
(1) To drive any vehicle over, upon, or across the dividing
section.
(2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on
the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier
designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles
or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section.
So.... as you (and I) know, Studebaker is divided in some places by Liberty Park and it's not in others, but becomes divided again just north of South, over by the Cerritos Auto Square. It's not at all divided south of Del Amo over by Rynerson Park. You can make a left on Studebaker into that parking lot that goes behind the park over by the horse trail (I've done it a ton of times) or even into the parking that sits on Studebaker.

The law you broke says that you CANNOT make that left turn unless there is one of those barriers that allows left turns.... over where it has the center median looking thing.

CdwJava

Here is the violation:

21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more
roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing
section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or
delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the
roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following:
(2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on
the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier
designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles
or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section.​
Looking at the Google satellite terrain map of the area, it does appear you have violated the above mentioned section.

Sorry.

The 2008 UNIFORM BAIL AND PENALTY SCHEDULES recommends a fine and fee total of $146 and one point against your license. If you are eligible for traffic school, this might be a viable option for you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">