• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing A Double Yellow Line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DuckieXD

My brother was pulled over in Cali for crossing a double yellow line.. VC I21460(A)

He was turning into a business parking lot... I would think this is considered a private driveway which would make the turn legal according to CA law.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

This is what I found on the internet: To turn into or out of a private driveway. You may cross a double yellow line to turn into or out of a private driveway. (VC 21460(d)(1).)

Source:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c2/a3/21460

justalayman

Ok, so what did the cop say when your brother said; I was turning into this drive I am now setting in which is legal.

DuckieXD

Ok, so what did the cop say when your brother said; I was turning into this drive I am now setting in which is legal.
My brother didn't say that too him. It was his first ticket and he was rather scared ( hes 17). He just figured the cop knew what he was doing.

justalayman

do you happen to have a location (like on Google maps) to show the intersection? It sounds like it was probably a legal crossing but for some reason, obviously the cop doesn't agree with that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What exactly do you mean by that?
If your brother wasn't immediately across from the driveway when he began his turn, then he crossed the double-yellow early. In other words, if he began his turn BEFORE the driveway (instead of AT the driveway) then he improperly crossed the double-yellow line.

ajkroy

Or, he could have been turning right and made the idiot move that I see drivers make ALL THE TIME of swerving waaaay far out to the left to make the right turn. That would cause him to cross the double-yellow line and deserve the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">