• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing Double Yellow Line (define crossing or exiting)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allengr

State - California.

Does anyone know where CA DMV has legally defined crossing (or exiting a lane)

Touching? One wheel, Two wheels, % of the car?

Scenerio:

I was originally pulled over for tinted front side windows, after demostrating to the officer that only the back side windows were tinted and not the front side windows. He wrote me up for crossing a double yellow line 21655.8(a) .

Very curvey road, only my left tires touched and crossed the double yellow. I never fully exited my lane. I returned to my lane. I was not passing, no U turn, no left turn. (no car in sight other than the parked CHP ahead waiting... wonder what he was doing or waiting for?).

In hind site... I should have let him write me up for the Tint... then I could have shown it was "corrected" to another CHP officer (hopefully without the CHiP on his shoulder)

allengr

I will live with what the courts have ruled. But I cant find the ruling on what is crossed.

"cross over these double lines to enter into or exit from the
exclusive or preferential use lanes" I was not entering and I never exited my lane.

I am sure there has been some "ruling" in California, I just can't find it

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your argument would not be the definition of "crossing", rather, that you were not, in fact, exiting or entering the lane when you crossed the line.

allengr

Thanks, I just edited my previous reply with that verbage.

I was hoping to get a clear definition before I go down any paths. First ticket in 20 plus years. I also dont want to give up my option of driving school to remove points... but then how bad is 1 point with Triple A here in CA

CA-DMV online wasn't much help. I also havn't found much on the internet. Plently on people completely crossing the line (lane-sharing violations)

occharge

What vehicle code section were you cited for?

Reading that might quite possibly offer the clearest definition on what you're NOT supposed to do!

allengr

From the CA-DMV site.

Entering or Exiting Exclusive or Preferential Use Lanes

21655.8. (a) Except as required under subdivision (b), when exclusive or preferential use lanes for high-occupancy vehicles are established pursuant to Section 21655.5 and double parallel solid lines are in place to the right thereof, no person driving a vehicle may cross over these double lines to enter into or exit from the exclusive or preferential use lanes, and entrance or exit may be made only in areas designated for these purposes or where a single broken line is in place to the right of the exclusive or preferential use lanes.

Also refered to on the internet as

21655.8(a) Crossing over double yellow lines to enter or exit a preferential use traffic lane.

Maestro64

From the CA-DMV site.

21655.8. (a) Except as required under subdivision (b), when exclusive or preferential use lanes for high-occupancy vehicles are established pursuant to Section 21655.5 and double parallel solid lines are in place to the right thereof, no person driving a vehicle may cross over these double lines to enter into or exit from the exclusive or preferential use lanes, and entrance or exit may be made only in areas designated for these purposes or where a single broken line is in place to the right of the exclusive or preferential use lanes.

21655.8(a) Crossing over double yellow lines to enter or exit a preferential use traffic lane.
The way I read that is meant you can not enter or leave your lane of travel if there is a double yellow line and move into another lane or exit or enter the the road. It does not sound you left or enter your lane over the double yellow. Now you could be written up for something else like failure to stay you lane of travel if they have they rule

I know people who got this ticket in CA because the were on a two lane road which had a double yellow down the middle and the made a left across the double yellow into someone driveway, which I thought was very odd since how else to you turn into someone driveway in a two land road since they all have double yellows. Well it is the rule out there but this is not what you did.

The other reason people get this ticket is when you come upon a left turn lane and prior to get to the lane they lay down double yellow line ahead of it to keep people from using the median to stack up and wait for the light.

When you were stop did he say he was pulling you over for the double yellow violation or it was for the tint. It sounds like he had to write you up for something since he initiated the stop and realize the tint was not valid reason anymore.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The way I read that is meant you can not enter or leave your lane of travel if there is a double yellow line and move into another lane or exit or enter the the road. It does not sound you left or enter your lane over the double yellow. Now you could be written up for something else like failure to stay you lane of travel if they have they rule

I know people who got this ticket in CA because the were on a two lane road which had a double yellow down the middle and the made a left across the double yellow into someone driveway, which I thought was very odd since how else to you turn into someone driveway in a two land road since they all have double yellows. Well it is the rule out there but this is not what you did.

The other reason people get this ticket is when you come upon a left turn lane and prior to get to the lane they lay down double yellow line ahead of it to keep people from using the median to stack up and wait for the light.

When you were stop did he say he was pulling you over for the double yellow violation or it was for the tint. It sounds like he had to write you up for something since he initiated the stop and realize the tint was not valid reason anymore.
Maestro -

Your post is nonsense. This OP was cited for a violation specifically related to a preferential lane (ie: carpool lane).

allengr

Thank you,

That is what has been confusing me.

That is why I kept asking questions.

It did not make sense to me on everything I read

But then again. I was originally pulled over for tinted front side windows that are not tinted!

I have avoided posting the full negative encounter with the young officer (newbie). His tone, body language, etc... did fit the stero-type.

I appreciate the input.

justalayman

well, were any of the wheels of your car in the lane next to the one you were driving in?

then you had crossed the line.

(I couldn;t resist)

occharge

From the CA-DMV site.

So this yellow line that your left tires touched/crossed, did it separate your lane of travel from preferential use traffic lane/car pool lane or did it separate your lane of travel from traffic headed in the opposite direction?

ShowerHat

I'd like the event fleshed out more seems were having to do too much detective work.
What kind of highway, interstate or state road? what time of day, what city, the number of the violation on the ticket.

Sounds like you were on a two lane highway that has a lot of curves and at one point your tires crossed the center lane. If that is the case it would be a hard-nose judge who wouldn't dismiss that. especially if you had a clear view and were avoiding debris or if the grade of the highway pulled you across or a gust of wind blew you slightly over. The highways are built with such things in mind that's why they are so wide. And it sounds like he could have used the wrong violation code.

occharge

I'd like the event fleshed out more seems were having to do too much detective work.
What kind of highway, interstate or state road? what time of day, what city, the number of the violation on the ticket.

Sounds like you were on a two lane highway that has a lot of curves and at one point your tires crossed the center lane. If that is the case it would be a hard-nose judge who wouldn't dismiss that. especially if you had a clear view and were avoiding debris or if the grade of the highway pulled you across or a gust of wind blew you slightly over. The highways are built with such things in mind that's why they are so wide.
ShowerHat, it sound to me like you rinsed and repeated one too many times this morning...

So instead of asking the OP about the facts of the
Case, you're suggesting that he just "blame it on the wind & hope for an easy going judge..." Great idea!!!

And it sounds like he could have used the wrong violation code.
Hey allengr, you're in luck, Sherlock Holmes is here!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">