• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing a double yellow to pass in a school zone.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srfjs

Ok, so here is the deal here. Thursday the 15th of January I was driving through my local community college in CA to pick up my books for classes. I was following a 4-door sedan up the street at a moderate speed of 35, the speed limit being 30 mph. The sedan slowed down and put on her blinker to turn right into the first parking lot on the right. I slowed down slightly to let her turn in when she turned her blinker of and was still slowing down. Thinking that her blinker must have clicked off on accident I assumed the slower speed and figured she would still turn but when she didn't turn in and decided she wanted to go straight at 5 mph. I was forced somewhat to go around her crossing a double yellow line on the other side of the road to avoid a possible collision. Just then the Officer in the parking lot turned on his lights and pulled me over. He asked me if I knew what I did wrong and I politely told him yes, and that I went around the other car illegally not wanting any arguement or fuss from the officer. He then took my DL, insurance, and registration and wrote me up for passing a car on the other side of the road in school zone. I did not argue with him whether or not it was ok for me to be swerving around the car and took my ticket and drove away. I'm wondering what I should do in this case. Should I go to court and try to fight it saying that I was trying to avoid a collision, or maybe ask for a reduced fine and traffic school. If the correct choice is asking for a reduced fine what is the best way of going about asking the judge for a lower fee? Thank you so much for taking your tim out to answer my question.

Antigone*

You are better off going to traffic school and paying the penalties.

Do you really think a judge is going to reduce the penalty for a violation that actually occurred ~ I don't think so.

This is going to be an expensive one for you. Lesson here ~ driver slower.

I_Got_Banned

How much do you think this ticket is going to cost me in CA on a dry road with med traffic?
Dry, moist or wet, and in light, medium or heavy traffic, the fine would only depend upon which vehicle code section you were cited for...

So, what vehicle code section does it show on the citation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">