• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crossing HOV lane and 4 unsafe lane change tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miknairb

State: New York (Nassau County)

Hello, I am a student at Nassau Community College and I was on the way to school on the LIE (Long Island Expressway). I was on the HOV and I was on a rush to school. I do admit that I crossed the HOV and have no problem for the consequences of my actions on that part. However, I do not understand the 4 unsafe lane changes except for the first one because i understand the car in the first lane would expect me not to cross the divider. I had signaled and did all the basics. The other three lanes i do not understand. Can i fight the unsafe lane changes in anyway? And the other thing is I crossed the HOV in order to get into an exit but I realized the police officer was in front of me before i got pulled over. She turned on the sirens so i passed and she made the siren sound for me to pull over. In the end I received 5 tickets at once. Crossing the divider and 4 separate unsafe lane change tickets. Is there anything I can do about this?

Antigone*

Hello, I am a student at Nassau Community College and I was on the way to school on the LIE (Long Island Expressway). I was on the HOV and I was on a rush to school. I do admit that I crossed the HOV and have no problem for the consequences of my actions on that part. However, I do not understand the 4 unsafe lane changes except for the first one because i understand the car in the first lane would expect me not to cross the divider. I had signaled and did all the basics. The other three lanes i do not understand. Can i fight the unsafe lane changes in anyway? And the other thing is I crossed the HOV in order to get into an exit but I realized the police officer was in front of me before i got pulled over. She turned on the sirens so i passed and she made the siren sound for me to pull over. In the end I received 5 tickets at once. Crossing the divider and 4 separate unsafe lane change tickets. Is there anything I can do about this?
Get a bus pass:cool:

Hello, I am a student at Nassau Community College
Impressive..4K/yr tuition ?

The lane changes? Its going to be up to the judge to consider what the officer says & your cross examination (you can testify but anything you testify will be tossed into the trash can - you are not an impartial witness) ... you cannot zip out of a HOV lane that has that solid line to the right and get to the next exit by crossing 3 lanes of traffic zip-zip-zip.

You cannot plead guilty or you license will be gone ... so, prepare to haggle with the prosecutor (this the wonderful TVB process you will be subjected to?) and see if they'll drop the lane changes .. the HOV fine is what, 10 zillion dollars?.

But you should prepare for cross examination of the officer in regards to the lane changes (beyond the HOV which is a no brainer to convict).

Issues to consider:
1) how long were you in each lane before you changed lanes , time & distance & speed..and traffic in area
2) was the cop in front of you during these lane changes?
3) what does the law require regarding lane changes in your state (google scholar search)
4) what did you tell the police officer
5) road markings & signage

When you consider all these factors & options post back.

You must have given the officer some lip to get 5 tickets at once ?

Last edited:

xylene

By my point count...

You need a LAWYER.

SO BADLY.

Your driving privilege is in jeopardy and you are looking at suspension (possible revocation if you got priors...) and huge fines.

If you depend on driving, and it seems you do, this is the fight of your life, and you have no chance without the best possible traffic lawyer.

Borrow money if you have to.

miknairb

Impressive..4K/yr tuition ?

The lane changes? Its going to be up to the judge to consider what the officer says & your cross examination (you can testify but anything you testify will be tossed into the trash can - you are not an impartial witness) ... you cannot zip out of a HOV lane that has that solid line to the right and get to the next exit by crossing 3 lanes of traffic zip-zip-zip.

You cannot plead guilty or you license will be gone ... so, prepare to haggle with the prosecutor (this the wonderful TVB process you will be subjected to?) and see if they'll drop the lane changes .. the HOV fine is what, 10 zillion dollars?.

But you should prepare for cross examination of the officer in regards to the lane changes (beyond the HOV which is a no brainer to convict).

Issues to consider:
1) how long were you in each lane before you changed lanes , time & distance & speed..and traffic in area
2) was the cop in front of you during these lane changes?
3) what does the law require regarding lane changes in your state (google scholar search)
4) what did you tell the police officer
5) road markings & signage

When you consider all these factors & options post back.

You must have given the officer some lip to get 5 tickets at once ?

Yes it is 4k/year tuition. The cop was actually in front of me when she pulled me over. I did not talk back or say anything whatsoever. She came to the car and just asked for my license, registration and insurance. I gave it to her and she sat in the car for about 20 minutes and came back giving me a roll of tickets and that was it. I had not said anything foul or wrong to her at all. So at this point I don't know what to do. If you have any more advice it would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

cyjeff

You went across 4 lanes of traffic? At one go?

By law, you are to stop in each lane and review if it is safe to proceed.

Therefore, making numerous lane changes in a single motion was illegal.

You need an attorney to try to get it bartered down.

I wouldn't hope for much. This type of driving is the reason we HAVE traffic law. I can't even begin to imagine what you were thinking...

Luckily, NY has one of the best mass transit systems in the world.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">