• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing state line speed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willis34

What is the name of your state?West Virginia

I am going to court to contest a citation I received in West Virginia for traveling 55 in a 40 zone. I was traveling across a bridge that is a 4 lane limited access highway that crosses the Ohio River into West Virginia. I am contesting the citation due to the fact that West Virginia law section 17C-6-1 states that on limited access highways where no speed limit is posted the speed is 55mph. There is a 40 mph speed limit sign in Ohio approx 120 yards from crossing the WV state line, but there are no signs in WV. I wonder if a sign clearly located in one state can govern a road in another state?
The bad thing is that I was a Police officer in Ohio for 9 years (got a job offer I couldn't turn down & left police work in 1998) I really think the road should be posted in the jurisdiction that is enforcing it (especially going from one state to another, but I really am not sure) Any opinions greatly appreciated! I traveled approx. 3/4 of a mile in West Virginia without passing any speed limit sign at all before I was stopped. I think the sign in Ohio MAY have been posted by West Virginia, but it is Clearly in Ohio and there is nothing at all in the state of West Virginia to indicate a speed limit on this particular highway.

Last edited:

JETX

willis34 said:
Any opinions greatly appreciated!
My opinion.... tell it to the judge.
Based solely on your post, it looks like you might have a chance (slim to huge, your guess).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">