• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crossing a white line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

if i knew then

What is the name of your state?
California
Is it against the law to cross a solid white line? If so, where is that written?
Thank you for reading and helping.

S

seniorjudge

if i knew then said:
California
Is it against the law to cross a solid white line? If so, where is that written?
Google california traffic code solid white line and start reading.

CdwJava

if i knew then said:
California
Where was this solid white line?

It could be a gore, a median, a shoulder marking, a crosswalk ... where it is will determine the answer.

- Carl

N

NotACopOrLawyer

Fight the ticket.

See my advice in nearby threads titled "Failed to yield to pedestrians"
and "Pulled over by a police officer on the freeway."
NACOL

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

NotACopOrLawyer said:
Fight the ticket.

NACOL
You forgot to promote the stupid book.

S

seniorjudge

CdwJava said:
Where was this solid white line?

It could be a gore, a median, a shoulder marking, a crosswalk ... where it is will determine the answer.

- Carl
Didn't he run for something once?

CdwJava

NotACopOrLawyer said:
Fight the ticket.

NACOL
Fight WHAT?! He hasn't even written that he was even cited!

You will also note that he asked two questions (neither of refering to a defense):

"Is it against the law to cross a solid white line?"

And,

"If so, where is that written?"

To properly answer those questions, we need to know where this line was. THEN you can begin to intone you mantra once more.

- Carl

if i knew then

White line was a gore

I lost this case a few years ago. I could not find any law against crossing a solid white line. I just found this forum and was still curious. I believe the line was a gore. It was a V shape with the open end towards the intersection, separating the left turn only lane. Across the intersection, the one forward lane becomes three forward lanes. To continue straight through the the intersection from the one forward lane, results in straddling two forward lanes past the intersection.

CdwJava

if i knew then said:
I lost this case a few years ago. I could not find any law against crossing a solid white line. I just found this forum and was still curious. I believe the line was a gore. It was a V shape with the open end towards the intersection, separating the left turn only lane. Across the intersection, the one forward lane becomes three forward lanes. To continue straight through the the intersection from the one forward lane, results in straddling two forward lanes past the intersection.
It was probably considered a divided highway per CVC 21651:

Divided Highways

21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following:

(1) To drive any vehicle over, upon, or across the dividing section.

(2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section.

(b) It is unlawful to drive any vehicle upon a highway, except to the right of an intermittent barrier or a dividing section which separates two or more opposing lanes of traffic. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), a violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.

(c) Any willful violation of subdivision (b) which results in injury to, or death of, a person shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or imprisonment in a county jail for a period of not more than six months.

You wouldn't happen to recall specifically what section you were cited for, would you?

- Carl

CdwJava

seniorjudge said:
Someone tell me what "a gore" is...thanks.
As I recall it is that area of seperation between the roadway and an exit or turn lane with white lines forming a "median" or "island" of a sort.

We don't generally use the term here in CA but there are some states that DO use it.

- Carl

TYRIS

seniorjudge said:
Someone tell me what "a gore" is...thanks.

-This is according to the Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) Glossary of Traffic terms:

Gore Area (Point)
The area located immediately between the left edge of a ramp pavement and the right edge of the roadway pavement at a merge or diverge area.

I've only used the term when I have to measure a traffic collision at a Highway On/Off Ramp.

Tyris

S

seniorjudge

TYRIS said:
-This is according to the Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) Glossary of Traffic terms:

Gore Area (Point)
The area located immediately between the left edge of a ramp pavement and the right edge of the roadway pavement at a merge or diverge area.

I've only used the term when I have to measure a traffic collision at a Highway On/Off Ramp.

Tyris
Thank you and Carl....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">