• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing Yellow Line Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjringo

What is the name of your state? Missouri

This ticket was from a city officer.

The setup. The officer was sitting off the side of the road approximately 125 to 150 feet from the road. Traffic was north/south bound he was sitting perpindicular to the yellow lines.

The officer states that saw me pass the car in front of me, cross the yellow line to get into the turning lane. It was one of those intersections the goes from one lane then splits into a turning lane (left Lane) and a straight lane.

I will admit that I was very close to the line but did not cross. The yellow line on the road is chipped faded. I drove my car to where he was sitting and I can barely see the line and there is no way that he could see if I was on the line, over the line or on the correct side of the line.

I believe that since I did pass the car that was in front of me going straight (which had to wait for the other cars in front of him) and proceeded into the turning lane that the officer thought that I had to have crossed the line to get to that point.

Here is the defenition of the statute that I voilated:

"315.140 Where there are established traffic lanes and such traffic lanes have been marked, it shall be unlawful for the operator of any vehicle to fail or refuse to keep such vehicle within the boundaries of any such lane except when lawfully passing another vehicle or preparatory to making a turning movement."

Can someone please tell me what "preparatory to making a turning movement." really means.

I was preparing to turn left, so am I clear ?

I have to go to court for this offense, what evidence should I present to the judge to prove that there is no way that the officer could have seen what he wrote me the ticket for.

This is a total BS ticket also I see people cross the yellow dashed areas all the time when traffic gets bad.

Additional Information: as of 7-12-2005. My court date is 7-28 between the time that I received the initial citation and my court date the city has decided to repaint the lines where I got my ticket. Luckily I took some pictures the following weekend that documents the facts that you can barely see the lines from where the cop was sitting.

I have also taken some pictures with the newly painted lines and it is still hard to see the lines.

How can I approach this with the judge to show that there is no way that you can tell where a car is in relation to the line looking perpindicular to the line without pissing off the judge ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Happy Trails

sjringo said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

This ticket was from a city officer.

The setup. The officer was sitting off the side of the road approximately 125 to 150 feet from the road. Traffic was north/south bound he was sitting perpindicular to the yellow lines.

The officer states that saw me pass the car in front of me, cross the yellow line to get into the turning lane. It was one of those intersections the goes from one lane then splits into a turning lane (left Lane) and a straight lane.

I will admit that I was very close to the line but did not cross. The yellow line on the road is chipped faded. I drove my car to where he was sitting and I can barely see the line and there is no way that he could see if I was on the line, over the line or on the correct side of the line.

I believe that since I did pass the car that was in front of me going straight (which had to wait for the other cars in front of him) and proceeded into the turning lane that the officer thought that I had to have crossed the line to get to that point.

Here is the defenition of the statute that I voilated:

"315.140 Where there are established traffic lanes and such traffic lanes have been marked, it shall be unlawful for the operator of any vehicle to fail or refuse to keep such vehicle within the boundaries of any such lane except when lawfully passing another vehicle or preparatory to making a turning movement."

Can someone please tell me what "preparatory to making a turning movement." really means.

I was preparing to turn left, so am I clear ?

I have to go to court for this offense, what evidence should I present to the judge to prove that there is no way that the officer could have seen what he wrote me the ticket for.

This is a total BS ticket also I see people cross the yellow dashed areas all the time when traffic gets bad. The cop was being a jerk.

Thanks,
Steve
It means preparing to make a turn.

I can only suggest that you take pictures from the Officer's point of view and where you were etc...

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">