• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT passing a school bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Throwaway6319

I'm in CT, and I was next to a school bus when it put its sign up. Since the sign wasn't in front of me, there was a full lane between us, there were no kids on my side of the street, and it was early so I wasn't thinking straight, I slowly moved forward. After a bit, the driver honked. If I could do it again, I'd play it safe and just stop, but I'm not sure if they reported me. How long does it usually take for a warning, summons, or police to arrive at your house for this violation? The internet was unclear.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Infraction tickets in Connecticut cannot be mailed - only personally served.

If you don't do stupid things behind the wheel then you will never have to worry.

Throwaway6319

That does not answer my question. It would or will be my first ticket, so it's not like I make a habit of driving poorly. I made a single poor judgement call in what I thought was a gray area (and likely isn't). I just want to know how long that takes.

Silverplum

That does not answer my question. It would or will be my first ticket, so it's not like I make a habit of driving poorly. I made a single poor judgement call in what I thought was a gray area (and likely isn't). I just want to know how long that takes.
You can call and ask.

You can search for posts on that topic in your state. We have no regular posters from your state.

:cool:

Throwaway6319

If you did, you're incorrect. For school buses, the driver can report it and then police can go to your house with a summons or warning, and tape it to your door if you are not there. That's the most detailed answer I can find, though. It's now been 24 hours and I'm wondering whether it'd be a today kind of thing or this week or this month. I guess I'll have to just keep waiting and worrying.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you did, you're incorrect. For school buses, the driver can report it and then police can go to your house with a summons or warning, and tape it to your door if you are not there. That's the most detailed answer I can find, though. It's now been 24 hours and I'm wondering whether it'd be a today kind of thing or this week or this month. I guess I'll have to just keep waiting and worrying.
No, he's not incorrect. You were told that the citation cannot be mailed and must be personally served. Your method, if allowed (and I'm not convinced you're right about that), would be a form of personal service.

Throwaway6319

Either he's saying it can't be personally served to my house and thus there is no wait time as it won't happen, in which case he appears to be wrong in this special case, OR he is clarifying what I had already said while not answering my question (timeframe).

Silverplum

Either he's saying it can't be personally served to my house and thus there is no wait time as it won't happen, in which case he appears to be wrong in this special case, OR he is clarifying what I had already said while not answering my question (timeframe).
As I already wrote, you can call and ask. There are no CT advisors here.

Stop complaining like you were owed an answer and go find one.

Zigner

There's no way we can guess at the time frame. As suggested above, you can call and ask.

Throwaway6319

Dude, there may be more than a couple people on this site 'look it up' when I tried, is unhelpful. 'don't do dumb things' is insulting and unuseful. I don't know who I would even call, or what town that intersection was in (to call their local police department). I just want it clear for anyone ELSE who might read this that yes, I am still looking for an answer. If you don't know, that's fine. Go elsewhere.

Zigner

Dude, there may be more than a couple people on this site 'look it up' when I tried, is unhelpful. 'don't do dumb things' is insulting and unuseful. I don't know who I would even call, or what town that intersection was in (to call their local police department). I just want it clear for anyone ELSE who might read this that yes, I am still looking for an answer. If you don't know, that's fine. Go elsewhere.
You can't use Google Maps to find what town an intersection is in? :rolleyes:

Throwaway6319

My commute is an hour and a half, one way. It's somewhere near the middle, I think. Following the route would be tedious, and I don't know the street names.

Zigner

My commute is an hour and a half, one way. It's somewhere near the middle, I think. Following the route would be tedious, and I don't know the street names.
If it's your commute, then you follow it very often, if not every day. I suppose it's really a matter of how important it is for you to find out the answer, isn't it?

ETA: I agree about commutes being tedious ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">