• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

curious to know...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juliet065

What is the name of your state? Illinois

A guy I used to work with told me that he was driving home from college and got pulled over for going 67 in a 65mph zone. Not that I actually want him to get away with it, since I actually think he's a terrible driver and completely deserves the ticket, but I have two questions just out of curiosity. One, since this ticket was pretty lame (only going 2 miles over the speed limit???), is it true that police have certain "quotas" that they have to fill by the end of the month? I've always heard people say that, but I never actually knew the veracity of the comment. Secondly, on the ticket issued for the violation, the police officer wrote down a lot of incorrect information, including writing down that the color of the care was white when it is actually dark green and said that it was a Pontiac when it's actually a Chevrolet. Is the ticket still even valid then, with all the misinformation? Thanks, and feel free to go off on my idiot co-employee...he drives like a maniac all the time and should probably have his license taken away altogether anyway. Sort of ironic that he'd get caught for something so stupid.

I

immigrant

He should certainly go to trial over this. The ticket is valid with the wrong information but if the cop said a white car was green then he would probably have a good case that the officer was smoking crack or something at the time. and that the charges should be dropped :D

J

jimmyv

yes police departments do have quotas set by usually the town council or city council but it's illegal, they do this when the council goes into executive session usually.. also it's considered harrassment when a cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket unless you are at least 6 miles over the speed limit. if this person brings the ticket to court and fights it the judge will have the officer written up . if this person knows the cop he can also sue the city town or state it happened in.. now i know some cops are gonna try and tell you there are no quotas but as a former town councilman i swear there is. ask a court clerk how much of the ticket goes to the issuing town(city) general fund

racer72

jimmyv, you really are an idiot. Show me ANY state law that says speeding is illegal only at 6 mph or more above the speed limit. In my state the fines for speeding start at 1 to 9 mph over the limit, not at 6 to 9 mph. You can't because there is not such thing. Also, virtually all police department traffic enforcement units operate on a conviction per citation percentage, not a quota. Quotas for tickets falls in the same category as racial profiling. The public believes it because because it makes them feel like they are victims instead of accepting responsibility for thier own actions.

J

jimmyv

racer please answer my question honestly... where does some of the money from citations go to? please inform me...

Rochelle

Jimmy, why is it so important for you to know where the money from tickets goes? How many tickets have you paid?

Money we receive from citations goes into a general fund, kept by City Hall. Any time any money goes in or out, it has to be approved by the Mayor, Board of Aldermen, and submitted to the Chief City Auditor to be monitored. It's not free money to use any way we want. It also helps pay for feeding and housing county prisoners and paying for medical expenses for inmates, such as taking them to the dentist. IT DOES NOT GO INTO any money used for raises or promotions. This is something someone started years ago, and because it sounds good to those who get into trouble, it is a lie that is perpetuated.

The speed limit is just that-the LIMIT. 1 mile over is speeding. There is no such thing as a law that doesn't allow an officer to pull you over unless you are a set amount over that limit. Again, you are being given incorrect information. Who told you a judge would have the officer written up? Whoever is giving you this information is seriously mistaken.

J

jimmyv

the law in the state of connecticut states that any car pulled over a given a citation for speeding that is under the 6mph rule will have their case thrown out. another cop who thinks that they are justified in everything they do because they wear a badge. police lke you make it hard for honest policeman and women to do their job and get respect.. this is how i see it.. police make an arrest and the person beats it out in court... who do they blame? the judge usually.. most officers have a different view of the law. how many cops have actually gotten speeding tickets? not many know why? their license plates have to be run through their own police departments thereby tellling the officer who is running the plate that this person is a police officer a fellow brother... therefore they won't cite them. very rarely will an officer get arrested for say drunken driving, and when they do they get out of it anyways..

J

juliet065

jimmyv--Can you please give me a link that shows exactly where this "6 mph rule" exists? I'm not trying to be rude, but are you kidding me?? Why would they bother with speed limits then? And, FYI, my father has gotten two tickets for going 5 over the limit, and they both stuck. I mean, it would be like saying that they can only arrest you for shoplifting if you took more than 5 items. Maybe someone else told you this so you believe it's true, but I would bet a lot of money that you're wrong.

Rochelle--are you seriously telling me every time someone pays a ticket we're paying for some inmates cost of living??? That's the best incentive I've ever had to drive legally..to keep some rapist from getting his comfy bed and warm meals. And why the hell do prisoners get stuff like TV and exercise equipment, etc.??? Hello, is going to prison really an incentive to not break the law again? Argh!! Sorry, that's just one of those things that really pi**es me off. They live better than I do!

Rochelle

ellencee,

jimmy can't play right now. He's still pouting because he's been caught running his mouth before his brain was engaged.

P

plifter

I've read that a lot of states have "recommendations" that speed limits not be enforced for violations below 5 miles per hour. Of course it's just a recommendation.

J

jimmyv

the state od connecticut will not prosecute any speeding under six miles per hour. in connecticut the dmv has total authority over any motor vehicle citations. try the dmv site for ct

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">