• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cut Off -> Accident -> Failure to Maintain Reasonable Control Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueFusion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My friend/roommate had a pretty rough day today on the cold roads of NW Ohio.

I was not a witness, so everything I am saying is second-hand information, but I am hoping to get as much help for him as I can.

My friend was driving in the northbound lane, which was clear of snow and ice, when someone turned out of a driveway and cut in front of him. This caused him to have to veer into the center turn lane, which was covered in packed snow and ice. Because of the quick maneuver and loss of grip, he spun out, went off road, slid in the snow for a few feet slowing him down, and then his B-pillar struck a telephone pole enough to cause a good amount of damage. Speed limit is 45, he estimated doing about 30 due to conditions.

Keep in mind that he was on dry pavement and was forced to maneuver into another lane covered with snow and ice to avoid impact with another vehicle leading to the loss of his control. I know the conditions of the road as a fact because I was 2 minutes behind him traveling to the work.

He went to the police station and filed a report and because the driver who cut him off did not stop and probably never even knew what happened, he ended up with the failure to maintain reasonable control citation.

Is there any way that he can get out of this ticket? Take it to court? Accept a plea deal? He already has to pay a large deductible and the car is likely a total loss so any way to reduce costs and avoid points on his otherwise clean driving record would be helpful.

Between an accident that I was involved in last month where someone cut me off on the same road, less than 1/4 mile away resulting in a total loss (other person found at fault) and this incident, I'm going to invest in a small dash cam.

Thanks for your input.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My friend/roommate had a pretty rough day today on the cold roads of NW Ohio.

I was not a witness, so everything I am saying is second-hand information, but I am hoping to get as much help for him as I can.
The advisors here really prefer to deal with the person to whom an accident happened, rather than someone who wasn't even there. We're open 24/7. :)

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/fighting-your-traffic-ticket.php

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">