• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CVC 22450 Citation on bike.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mscott2757

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So, I recently got a citation for going through an intersection on my bicycle and not stopping at the stop sign at said intersection by a cop on motorcycle.

Some other things I must mention:
The cop wrote the wrong name on the citation, i.e. He wrote my name in the wrong order. On the citation it says (first,middle,last). My name is "Mason Chan Scott" but he wrote "Scott Mason Chan."

Also, the cop made an illegal u-turn AFTER giving me the ticket and there were witnesses present.

Also, he might've written the wrong color of my bicycle, if that matters.

Would it be wise to challenge the citation or to plead guilty?

CdwJava

You can correct your name at court, but the misspelling is not going to get you off. Chances are he wrote your name as it appeared on a license or ID card, o as it was provided to him by a dispatcher, or maybe even you. In any event, it's not an element of the offense and not likely to get you off. Neither is the U-Turn he made after the stop.

You can attend court and hope he doesn't show up, make a defense of it and argue you DID come to a complete stop as required, or, even plead out and pay the fine to avoid a couple of court appearances. You can even try a trial by written declaration and a trial de novo if you lose. Your call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">