• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CVC22350 No Substantial Evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightIt83

First I just want to preface, that I'm not a lawyer, I personally don't have any closer friends who are lawyers. The only experience I've ever had in law is watching law movies, tv shows and plays.

I'm in Los Angeles, California and I was charged with California Vehicle Code 22350. The trial occured and the Judge found me guilty. I plan to appeal my case under the belief that there was no substantial evidence to find me guilty.

CVC 22350 state: No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffice on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endanger the safety of persons or property.

There were three pieces of evidence used during this trial:

HARD EVIDENCE ~ The officer brought in papers showing he used a lazer gun clocking me at 55 miles per hour. He had documents that proved that the lazer gun had been maintained and checked recently. He had documents that proved he had been trained in using the equipment.

The other two pieces of evidence are HIS TESTIMONY and MY TESTIMONY.

The trial started with the police officer giving his opening statement, he described the basics. Folliwing his statment I questioned him. This was the questioning (summarized, as this was my first time going to court and fighting a case and I was nervous and stuttering.)

Me: Can you describe the weather?

Officer: It was a clear morning, it was not wet.

Me: What was the visibility like?

Officer: It was very visibile.

Me: Can you describe the traffic that day?

Officer: The traffic was moderate.

Me: Can you describe the road where you pulled me over?

Officer: There are two lanes traveling westbound.

Me: To clarify there are two lanes traveling westbound, two lanes traveling eastbound, and one lane for parking on both sides of road as well as a center turning lane.

Officer: Yes, however at this location there was no center turning lane. (*Note)

Me: In your professional opinion was I endangering any persons or property?

Officer: Yes, I believe at the speed you were traveling you were endangering yourself and others.

At this point I had shown through the cops testimony that I was driving at a speed that could be considered reasonable given the clear weather, clear visiblity, the moderate traffic and that the road was 6 lanes wide (*Note). At this point the only issue was that the Officer felt that I was endangering myself and others. There was a dialogue between us where he made statements and I made statements. I'll bring up the key points.

OFFICER TESTIMONY: I was pulled over in Lane 1 (the further lane from the sidewalk going my direction) near a park with a lake in which there were joggers around the lake. (Through my question to him) My car was approximently 40 feet from the sidewalk. Had I gotten into an accident traveling at speed that I was I could have slid across the two lanes and over the side walk into the lake hitting the joggers at the lake. (After I made a statement about this distance.) There were joggers on the sidewalk.

MY TESTIMONY: When I was pulled over I was completely stopped at a red light. There was a car next to me in lane 2 that was also stopped, we were the ones leading the traffic at the time. I did not recall any joggers at the time although there may or may not have been any. CVC 22350 has nothing to do with exceeding a speed limit, thus I was unfairly given a "speeding" ticket.

THE JUDGES VERDICT: I was improperly charged with CVC 22350 and should have been charged with CVC 22351(a) (NOTE: This code also has nothing to do with exceeding a maximum speed limit.) However based on the police officers testimony he believes that I was endangering myself and others and was found guilty.

The question I have at this point is if there was substantial evidence provided by the cop that I was driving "at a speed which endanger the safety of persons or property" for the judge to rule me guilty.

Now I'll lay my hand out on the table. Here are the things that were NOT brought up in my trial. Therefore I think it would be useless to bring up in my appeal, however I'm open to suggestions of people feel otherwise.

1) Admitidly I was traveling at 55mph in an area with signs that state "SPEED LIMIT 40." However, There is no law that states that one must abide by postd speed limits. Infact the legal California Speed Limit is 65mph, except with prima facie (prima facie I believe refers to two-lane undivided roads, school & residential zones, etc.) Speed Limit signs are actually posted by the city/county as RECOMMENDED speed limits for the area, however they are not legal speed limits. (Any interesting fact for all California Drivers to know.)

2) The cop gave inaccurate testimony. One being that he said there was no center lane where I was pulled over. He stated the location I pulled over and I looked it up and there is indeed a center lane. (Check out the location on Googlemaps: San Pablo & Valley Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps or at googlemaps.com look up San Pablo & Valley, Los Angeles, CA) Also if you notice from the map the location of the red light which I was pulled over is basically where the start of the lake with these joggers were. For me to have come to a complete stop at the red light I would have had to been slowing down and thus I would have been traveling at a speed under 40 miles an hour. The speed has no relevance to the possibility I could get into an accident and knock out some joggers by the lake.

3) At the time I was pulled over there was a tan van between myself and the cop who was parked in the parking lane on my side of the street. The van and myself both reached the red light at about the same time. When the cop pulled behind me at the red light and pulled me over the tan van also pulled over. The cop told the van that he was not writing him a ticket I was the one getting the ticket. The van started to pull away, then stopped and revesed back toward us. The cop again had to walk up to the van and tell him he was not pulling over, that I was the one being pulled over. I don't know how to make the relevent, but it just stood out in my head, it was odd...

So basically this trial was no longer about whether I was going over the speed limit or not. It was whether there was substantial evidence that I was driving "at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property." His evidence with the lazer radar didn't prove anything except I was traveling at 55 mph. It was the cops word vs. mine.

This is where I think I stand on an appeals that there was no substantial evidence to charge me with the above.

1) If traveling at 55 mph endangers myself than everyone who drives on any free way at 65 mph should be charged with CVC22350.

2) The idea that my speed of 55mph increases the endangerment of the joggers by the lake because of the possibility that I could get into an accident slide two lanes down and hit the joggers is opinion evidence. The testimony that the cop gave was not an expert witness, he could not scientifically, technically through specialized knowledge know that this probablility of hitting these joggers would be increased due to my speed.

Given these two things were basically the only evidence that the judge had to go by I think the judge ruled without substantial evidence. I'm curious to hear if you feel I have a definite chance of over turning this verdict with my appeals.

Thanks...sorry it was so long winded. I wanted to get all the facts and info out there.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

You have nothing to lose by trying, but I don't think you'll be pleasantly pleased by the results. I'd guess you've got a 1 in a 1000 shot of winning an appeal.

I_Got_Banned

Not to disagree with You Are Guilty but i think you may have a chance assuming you did one thing.

You did state the following:

HARD EVIDENCE ~ The officer brought in papers showing he used a lazer gun clocking me at 55 miles per hour. He had documents that proved that the lazer gun had been maintained and checked recently. He had documents that proved he had been trained in using the equipment.
I did read your entire post and saw no mention whatsoever of the officer introducing a Traffic and Engineering Survey.

You were charged with exceeding a posted speed limit. Well, estimating your speed and proving it was an accurate estimate is one of the elements needed to convict you of the charge. But equally as important is whether the speed limit that you had alledgedly exceeded is justified by a Traffic and Engineering Survey.

If the Survey is introduced into evidence and if it is indeed valid, then you would have to do your darnest to prove that your speed (55mph) was indeed reasonable and prudent AND that it did not endanger person nor property.

However, if the prosecution failed to introduce such a (valid) survey that was performed within the past 5 years, then the officer is deemed as an incompetent witness and the prosecution failed to prove its case against you.

So you may have been right as far as the insufficiency of evidence, I think you totally missed the ball on bringing this up in court. You could have had it dismissed right then and there.

But it might not be too late. Play your cards right, and you might get it kicked down on appeal.

Jim_bo

I think you have some mis-interpretations. First, it is well accepted in case law in CA that driving faster than a prima facie speed limit creates an assumption that you violated the basic speed law and the burden shifts to you to prove that you didn't. You can't rely on the fact that the officer didn't prove that you did.

22351(b) The speed of any vehicle upon a highway in excess of the prima
facie speed limits
in Section 22352 or established as authorized in
this code is prima facie unlawful unless the defendant establishes by
competent evidence that the speed in excess of said limits did not
constitute a violation of the basic speed law at the time, place and
under the conditions then existing.
Second, IGB hits another one out of the park. You were so wrapped around the axle about the basic speed law that you missed the most obvious defense. See this section of the vehicle code:

40803 (b) In any prosecution under this code of a charge involving the
speed of a vehicle, where enforcement involves the use of radar or
other electronic devices which measure the speed of moving objects,
the prosecution shall establish, as part of its prima facie case,
that the evidence or testimony presented is not based upon a
speedtrap as defined in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section
In People v. Halopoff, the court stated:
[W]e declare the obligation of the prosecutor to establish that a speed trap was not involved in those cases where radar is used to apprehend a defendant.
And People v. Earnest:
Because the People did not produce either the original engineering and traffic survey or a certified copy of it demonstrating that the posted speed limits on the pertinent segments of roadway were justified by current engineering and traffic surveys, none of their evidence as to the defendants' speeds was - admissible...
So, the trick now is to quickly file your notice of appeal. There is a bit of a process to doing an appeal with very strict timelines. If you miss a timeline, you will not get a second chance. Also... make SURE you serve everyone who is supposed to be sure. The trial judge (not just the court) must be served with a copy of the proposed statement... don't ask how I know. There is a good tutorial at Help! I got a traffic ticket.

Good luck... let us know how it is going. If you want to post your proposed staement and briefs, I'm sure you can get some good feedback.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Speed Limit signs are actually posted by the city/county as RECOMMENDED speed limits for the area, however they are not legal speed limits. (Any interesting fact for all California Drivers to know.)
I just wanted to point out the absurdity of this false statement.

:rolleyes:

FightIt83

Please prove that this statement is false. Honestly would have said this to me a week ago I would have laughed in their face. However if you can find any law or vehicle that states otherwise please let me know. The only laws regarding EXACT speed limit are, not exceeding 65 miles on a highway, not exceeding 100 mph anywhere, not exceeding 55 miles on a two-lane undivded highway, not exceeding the prima facie, CVC22532 in which none of those instances applied. Anything else is left to judgement based on the weather, visibility, road conditions, etc.

I'm not so much challenging you as much as looking for a reason that I might be wrong. So I ask you to please prove this false statement.

FightIt83

re:CVC23350

Hi I_Got_Banned & Jim_bo,

Both the comments follow the lines that I was charged for going over the posted speed limit, however I still don't think that is what is now considered the charge. Also in CVC 22352 the Prima Facie for California is Established, and none of those rules apply.

I'm a little confused on how to handle my appeal: Shoudl I appeal because there was "not enough substantial evidence to prove that the posted speed limit was valid?" or that there was "not enough substantial evidence to prove that the speed i was driving was endangering any person or properties."

CVC 22350 doesn't state anything about exceeding an actual number speed limit but it seems like an opinionated open-ended statement. And the area I was driving in did not overlap when any prima facie limits.

I just want to make sure I'm appealing the from the right angle.

Thanks folks!

Zigner

Please prove that this statement is false. Honestly would have said this to me a week ago I would have laughed in their face. However if you can find any law or vehicle that states otherwise please let me know. The only laws regarding EXACT speed limit are, not exceeding 65 miles on a highway, not exceeding 100 mph anywhere, not exceeding 55 miles on a two-lane undivded highway, not exceeding the prima facie, CVC22532 in which none of those instances applied. Anything else is left to judgement based on the weather, visibility, road conditions, etc.

I'm not so much challenging you as much as looking for a reason that I might be wrong. So I ask you to please prove this false statement.
Incredible :rolleyes:

Zigner

Oh, did I forget to post this?

CVC
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
than that speed limit.

You Are Guilty

Here's why I answered the way I did. Unless Wackifornia has recently changed its rules of procedure, a failure to make a timely objection at trial means it is waived. Meaning, unless you objected to the "lack of evidence" at the hearing, there's a good chance you lost that right on appeal.

But since it is Wackifornia, I upped the odds from 0 to a-little-over-zero.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Jim_bo

Zigner... this guy is trying to prepare an appeal and all you want to do is find anything that you can point at to say he was wrong about something. Even if your points are correct... they are irrelevant. Why not quit wasting thread space with such nonsense.

Jim_bo

Hi I_Got_Banned & Jim_bo,

Both the comments follow the lines that I was charged for going over the posted speed limit, however I still don't think that is what is now considered the charge. Also in CVC 22352 the Prima Facie for California is Established, and none of those rules apply.

I'm a little confused on how to handle my appeal: Shoudl I appeal because there was "not enough substantial evidence to prove that the posted speed limit was valid?" or that there was "not enough substantial evidence to prove that the speed i was driving was endangering any person or properties."

CVC 22350 doesn't state anything about exceeding an actual number speed limit but it seems like an opinionated open-ended statement. And the area I was driving in did not overlap when any prima facie limits.

I just want to make sure I'm appealing the from the right angle.

Thanks folks!

You should really go back and read my post concerning VC22351. You are right that you may drive over the limit if it doesn't create a danger for persons or property... however, if you were over the limit the burden shifts to you to PROVE you did not endanger persons or property by competent evidence. You didn't do that at trial... so let it go.

Here is another quote from Halopoff:

It is consonant with this policy to require the People to disclose without request that radar was used and to produce the engineering and traffic survey or declare their inability to do so. The prosecution will always know when radar has been used to apprehend a speeder. The defendant and the court may or may not be aware of that fact. Simple fairness, and ease of procedure, dictate that the prosecution make the fact known.... Third, even though radar is used to apprehend one accused of speeding, a speed trap is not involved if the prima facie speed limit involved has been justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within five years prior to the date of the violation (§ 40802, subd. (b)). If the burden is placed on a defendant to establish the existence of a speed trap he is required to prove a negative -- the absence of the requisite survey. This is an onerous task which militates against the policy of the legislation. It is far more easy and realistic in this connection to place the burden on the People, who are in the best position to supply the evidence, since they will always know whether such a survey exists, and if it does, will have it in their possession.
What this means is that the prosecution had a burden to produce a speed survey to prove the use of radar did not constitute a speed trap... whether you asked for it or not! If the prosecution did not produce a speed survey, then you have a winning appeal.

Go to Help! I got a traffic ticket.. There is a pretty good tutorial on appeals. Get busy with it as you cannot extend the time limits.

Zigner

Zigner... this guy is trying to prepare an appeal and all you want to do is find anything that you can point at to say he was wrong about something. Even if your points are correct... they are irrelevant. Why not quit wasting thread space with such nonsense.
Jim - I would prefer to point out the absurdity as I see it. If you don't like it, skip it :rolleyes:

FightIt83

Oh, did I forget to post this?

CVC
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
than that speed limit.
Hi Zinger, do you know what CVC 22349 or CVC 22356 states?

Well there are the ones belows. Again, as I stated there is nothing in here stating following posted speed limit laws. It simply states a general 65 mph speed limit, a 55mph on a two-way undivided highway and going over 70mph where posted...

Again I ask, if you find a posting stating that you must abide by posted speed limits aside from the limits I just stated.

California Vehicle Code 22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following apply:

(1) A two-lane, undivided highway is a highway with not more than one through lane of travel in each direction.

(2) Passing lanes may not be considered when determining the number of through lanes.

(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that there be reasonable signing on affected two-lane, undivided highways described in subdivision (b) in continuing the 55 miles-per-hour speed limit, including placing signs at county boundaries to the extent possible, and at other appropriate locations.

CVC 22356. (a) Whenever the Department of Transportation, after consultation with the Department of the California Highway Patrol, determines upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey on existing highway segments, or upon the basis of appropriate design standards and projected traffic volumes in the case of newly constructed highway segments, that a speed greater than 65 miles per hour would facilitate the orderly movement of vehicular traffic and would be reasonable and safe upon any state highway, or portion thereof, that is otherwise subject to a maximum speed limit of 65 miles per hour, the Department of Transportation, with the approval of the Department of the California Highway Patrol, may declare a higher maximum speed of 70 miles per hour for vehicles not subject to Section 22406, and shall cause appropriate signs to be erected giving notice thereof. The Department of Transportation shall only make a determination under this section that is fully consistent with, and in full compliance with, federal law.

(b) No person shall drive a vehicle upon that highway at a speed greater than 70 miles per hour, as posted.

(c) This section shall become operative on the date specified in subdivision (c) of Section 22366.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">