• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dangerous driving?? Possible wrong violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yooitscewl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I received a dangerous driving ticket a few days ago. I was driving in the middle lane on a 3 lane road. I was approaching a street where I had to get into the right lane in order to make a right turn, where there happens to be a yield sign. Because I recently got into a car accident and now have back problems, because of this I try to avoid the right lane because it is notorious for broken roads and pot holds. Upon arriving ( about 200 ft ) to my right turn that I needed to make, still driving in the middle lane, I quickly went into the right lane to access my right turn yield. As I yeild, a cop, comming out from a gas station directly to my right, put his sirens on and signal me to pull over. He approaches my car, ask for the usual, and I ask is there a problem? He said, "Are you in a rush to get somewhere?", I reply "no", He then says, "I was following you for half a mile, and is there any reason why you cut 6 people off without your signal?". I did not reply. I then said "I can not afford a ticket, is there anything you can do?" He tells me to wait in the car, and then returns with a ticket for dangerous driving! He says he could have given me more but he was just giving me this one.

My question is....

a)my violation code on the ticket says 402c. I looked this code up and could not find anything, the only thing that came close to this was failure to show license plate properly. Can I have this dismissed?

b)I had no idea dangerous driving existed in NY, I thought it was reckless driving in NY? Other states may say dangerous, but to my research I have only found reckless in NY.

c)Because he came out of a gas station, i've heard, that he is not allowed to by law to use a commercial property without consent of the owner. Can I have this as grounds for dismissal?

d) I honestly didn't do anything wrong. How do I get out of this. I can not afford a lawyer and I can't afford these points or fines, literally, I am broke.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You Are Guilty

a)my violation code on the ticket says 402c. I looked this code up and could not find anything, the only thing that came close to this was failure to show license plate properly. Can I have this dismissed?
Dismissed because you don't know how to look up statutes? You'd be the first.
NYC Traffic Rules 4-02(c) said:
Dangerous driving
No person shall operate a motor vehicle in a manner that will endanger any person or property.
b)I had no idea dangerous driving existed in NY, I thought it was reckless driving in NY? Other states may say dangerous, but to my research I have only found reckless in NY.
Might want to practice that researching. See above.
c)Because he came out of a gas station, i've heard, that he is not allowed to by law to use a commercial property without consent of the owner. Can I have this as grounds for dismissal?
You heard wrong; no.
d) I honestly didn't do anything wrong. How do I get out of this. I can not afford a lawyer and I can't afford these points or fines, literally, I am broke.
Bring broke is not a defense. From what you've written, it sounds to me, a complete stranger, like you're guilty. You may want to investigate the cost of a traffic lawyer if you don't want to suffer the consequences of a judge agreeing with me.

Good luck.

yooitscewl

okay..

So what kind of penalty am I looking at here. It is bubbled in the ticket that it is a VTL (violation?), also bubbled TRAFFIC RULES, and also bubbled TR INF. I hope its not big? and what is the average cost of a lawyer with this kind of violation?? Any help is appreciated!

yooitscewl

sorry

on the yellow ticket i was issued it says the time and date of offense. Then it says in violation of 402c then the description Dangerous Driving. Next to those comments there is a spot that has bubble fill ins, like a multiple choice test. there is a spot for TR INF and MISD. Im guessing TR INF is traffic inference, and the other Misdermener. TRINF is bubbled. Another section of bubbles has VTL bubbled in, and TRAFF RULES bubbles in. Does that make more sense? Let me know how I can clarify for you better.

You Are Guilty

So what kind of penalty am I looking at here. It is bubbled in the ticket that it is a VTL (violation?), also bubbled TRAFFIC RULES, and also bubbled TR INF. I hope its not big? and what is the average cost of a lawyer with this kind of violation?? Any help is appreciated!
I don't speak Ticket fluently, but I believe that VTL = "Vehicle and Traffic Law" and "Traffic Rules" is that part of the VTL (cited for you above) which you are specifically charged with violating. TR INF is most likely "TRaffic INFraction", as opposed to TRaffic MISDemeanor.

An infraction is like a parking ticket and is not considered a "crime" in NY. A misdemeanor is a crime, (so, for example, it shows up on criminal background checks) and potentially carries some jail time with it (up to one year). In other words, infraction = good, misdemeanor = bad.

I've never actually heard of someone getting a ticket for this before, so I have no knowledge of what the potential fine may be. (You can probably find out by calling the number on the back of the paper and asking).

If the ticket has a specific day for you to go to court, be sure not to ignore it. If it doesn't, I believe you have 14 days to enter your plea, so if you plan on fighting the ticket, don't waste too much time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">