• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dashcam video shows I was speeding, but not to the extent that I was ticketed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notme1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I use a dashcam recorder in my car. I was pulled over and ticketed for doing 86 in a 70. My dashcam video shows that I was only doing about 75, and at the moment that I passed the speedtrap, another car was passing me on my right (same color and also a sedan). Is this enough to get the ticket fully dismissed or will they merely reduce the charge?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do you intend to prove that your speed measurement is more accurate than that officer's?

notme1234

The video also includes audio, and the conversation with the officer. Other than being able to hear that at normal speed, I'm not sure.

Even without the speed, would the other car passing me provide enough doubt? After I saw him switch on his lights I even changed lanes, which could have confused the officer as well.

notme1234

As for measuring the speed, it would be by counting the number of lane dashes passed per period of time. The length of the lane stripes and the distance between them is mandated by law. Factor that with the time it takes to traverse them and you have the speed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As for measuring the speed, it would be by counting the number of lane dashes passed per period of time. The length of the lane stripes and the distance between them is mandated by law. Factor that with the time it takes to traverse them and you have the speed.
It's not gonna fly. Sorry.

TigerD

Great, you have the answers. Good luck with that.

DC

FlyingRon

Bullhockey. The MUTCD doesn't even make the dash length / spacing any fixed length, just recommends a ration of 1:3 for paint/no-paint on the broken lines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">