• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"A Deal with the Prosecuting Attorney"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hkornfeld

What is the name of your state? MD/VA/Federal court.

In Illinois, they have this thing called "Review" where you pay half the fine and it doesn't go on your driving record. You have to go to court to get it, and it seems to be offered automatically, although maybe only to first time offenders.

I've heard of a similar thing in Virginia, but you have to actually go and make a deal with the "Prosecuting Attorney" beforehand. I have no idea who this Prosecuting Attorney character is supposed to be, my friend told me you had to go and find them in some office outside of the courtroom.

Has anyone had experience with this? I'd be interested in similar situations for Maryland, and for Federal District Court. (I have to go to US District Court in Alexandria, Virginia because I was ticketed for speeding on the George Washington Parkway by a park police officer.)

Thanks as always.

fedcop110

Has anyone had experience with this? I'd be interested in similar situations for Maryland, and for Federal District Court. (I have to go to US District Court in Alexandria, Virginia because I was ticketed for speeding on the George Washington Parkway by a park police officer.)
I have never heard of such a thing in Federal court. You will be going to a federal magistrate court. It is the US District courthouse, but will be appearing in front of a magistrate unless you request a jury or district court judge hearing. You would need to talk to the Assistant United States Attorney that will be prosecuting the charge. He/she will know your options. You can find them in the US Govt section in the yellow pages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">