• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Decade old ticket for collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fej425

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello, new here...I did a search and found some similar threads, but none that indicated what sort of resolution anyone was able to reach.

We recieved a notice in the mail a few days ago (at home in Colorado) that my wife has a ticket from 1999 in collections. It was issued in
Pinellas County, Florida. She moved from Florida to Colorado in late 2002. She recalls being unable to register her vehicle in 2000 due to this ticket, got it paid, registered the vehicle and has no problems with registration or license since.

The bank can't provide a check that old, and the county says they don't have the ticket. The collections agency just says what these agencies say, pay it or etc, etc.

Has anyone been able to reach a satisfactory outcome with this sort of situation? I certainly don't want to see any negative impact to our credit, but I also believe her when she says it was paid. The fact that it held up registration, then the restriction was removed to allow registration seems to support this assertion as well.

My first inclination is to pay it and make it go away, but right is right (and $ are $, especially with 3 little mouths to feed). I'm also concerned that we'll pay it only to be billed again for it in 2020.

Any advice is appreciated...Thanks!

DRTDEVL

If it truly is paid and the State shows no record/license in good standing, ignore it.

Depending on the collection item, it can only be placed on your credit report for 7 years (10 years in some instances). It's now 2010.

If it's placed on the credit report, first dispute as no knowledge. If they claim verified, dispute as obsolete (they will have changed the date of the ticket in the records in order to place on your credit). If asked for proof, provide the CRAs a copy of the first collection attempt showing 1999 as the date.

fej425

Thank you for the reply, that seems reasonable. Should we notify the collections agency that we intend to take this course, or do we just wait and see if it appears on her credit report, then dispute it?

Does anyone else have thoughts or experience with this kind of situation?

Thanks again!

racer72

If it truly is paid and the State shows no record/license in good standing, ignore it.

Depending on the collection item, it can only be placed on your credit report for 7 years (10 years in some instances). It's now 2010.

If it's placed on the credit report, first dispute as no knowledge. If they claim verified, dispute as obsolete (they will have changed the date of the ticket in the records in order to place on your credit). If asked for proof, provide the CRAs a copy of the first collection attempt showing 1999 as the date.
This will do absolutely nothing to resolve your primary problem, your wife will still owe the collection agency for the ticket. Whether something is on your credit report or not has no bearing whatsoever as to the legality of the debt. The CA also knows the debt does not have a statute of limitations and depending on how aggressive they pursue the debt, your wife could be looking at a potential lawsuit in the future. The fact the vehicle was previous registered and that your wife have a current driver's license does not prove the ticket was not paid.

I would suggest sending a debt validation letter (CRRR) and depending on what is returned, base the decision to pay or not on the potential evidence that could be used in court against your wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">