• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defacing a traffic sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fast Twitch

What is the name of your state? WV

I need to know if it's illegal to alter a traffic sign. Common sense would say "yes" but common sense rarely has anything to do with legal matters.

Specifically the alteration involves some resident that was upset over people not coming to a complete stop at a 4 way stop intersection. They proceeded to hang card board signs with "Not Slow Down" written on them in magic marker. They then hung these signs on the same pole as the stop sign right under the familiar red octagon.

What I want to confirm is the legality/illegality of doing this and if possible locate the specific statute prohibiting such action. I've been to the state Dept of Highways website but I can't make heads or tails of all the legal talk.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Fast Twitch said:
What is the name of your state? WV

I need to know if it's illegal to alter a traffic sign. Common sense would say "yes" but common sense rarely has anything to do with legal matters.

Specifically the alteration involves some resident that was upset over people not coming to a complete stop at a 4 way stop intersection. They proceeded to hang card board signs with "Not Slow Down" written on them in magic marker. They then hung these signs on the same pole as the stop sign right under the familiar red octagon.

What I want to confirm is the legality/illegality of doing this and if possible locate the specific statute prohibiting such action. I've been to the state Dept of Highways website but I can't make heads or tails of all the legal talk.
My response:

You say "altering" and "defacing" - - but, your post is not about "altering" or "defacing" the sign itself. What you ARE talking about is adding a sign, hung on the pole, underneath the familiar octagon "Stop" sign.

Doing so is not illegal. The U.S. Supreme Court has already decided the issue years ago by saying that doing so is "political free speech." So, it's not illegal. It's just more work for the city workers to take down the signs - - that's all.

IAAL

racer72

What may be illegal is adding the sign to the post. Many states, cities, counties, towns, etc., have laws that it is illegal to post signs of anykind on traffic poles and telephone poles.

<Looking down shuffling feet and looking meekly> I once got a $15 ticket for putting a garage sale sign on a pole that also had a speed limit sign. I was easy to find, the officer followed my signs.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

racer72 said:
What may be illegal is adding the sign to the post. Many states, cities, counties, towns, etc., have laws that it is illegal to post signs of anykind on traffic poles and telephone poles.

<Looking down shuffling feet and looking meekly> I once got a $15 ticket for putting a garage sale sign on a pole that also had a speed limit sign. I was easy to find, the officer followed my signs.
My response:

Racer, Racer, Racer . . .

Tsk, tsk, tsk - - c'mon, you know better than that. I KNOW you do.

A "Garage Sale" sign is not "political free speech".

What our Supreme Court discussed was an outgrowth of the 1960's and the Anti-Viet Nam War protests. You may recall from your history books that people, like myself, were adding signs like, "Stop" - - the War" and "Stop" the killing".

Our writer is, likewise, making a political statement by having people obey the laws, and to make a complete "Stop" at the sign, and just not slow down, and roll on through.

That's a "political" statement, and it's perfectly legal.

IAAL

Last edited:
K

knorris

<Looking down shuffling feet and looking meekly> I once got a $15 ticket for putting a garage sale sign on a pole that also had a speed limit sign. I was easy to find, the officer followed my signs. [/B][/QUOTE]
Funny how those sign's can lead right to you, while living in Dallas I had the same thing happen to me, though I didn't get a ticket or fine. the officer gave me the chance to just go remove the sign and told me that, because so many people were putting them up and not returning to take them down. that the city decided they were becoming eyesores and in some instances obstructing the view of traffic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">