• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defective equipment in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tcinva

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recently received a ticket for defective equipment (for a driver's side rear light out). Law section 46.2-1003 in the va traffic code. Five months prior to receiving the ticket, the vehicle has been vandalized and an after market tail light assembly was put in. I had problems with the light assembly and had already changed the bulb once a few weeks prior to the ticket. A few days before I was pulled over for the citation, the light was in proper working order. So, needless to say, I did not know the light was out when the officer stopped me. Therefore, I thought I was going to receive a warning. He instead gave me the ticket and said he was doing me a favor by not giving me an extra ticket for not having my registration in the vehicle. I would like to know if this is worth fighting in court since everyone I have spoken with said it is ridiculous that I was given the ticket instead of a warning.

Thanks for your help -
tcinva

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">