• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defense for "Travelling Unresonable Fast) CT 14-218a?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DietDrPepper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I was pulled over in June by a state trooper. At the scene, he kept asking me to admit how fast I was going, which I sort of just said "kind of fast" because I didn't want to admit guilt at the scene.

Also, it sounded like he didn't even get me on radar because I didn't see him running speed enforcement, and it seems like he just visually estimated my speed.

Anyhow, he didn't give me the obligatory "Speeding" ticket, but instead gave me a "travelling unreasonably fast" ticket, and wrote me up for 65 in a 40 (by the time I was pulled over the speed limit had gone up to 55 and soon after it jumps to 65). Also, the spot where he cited my location was about 2.5-3 miles back of where I got pulled over.

Anyhow, what is the difference between "Speeding" and this ticket. What kind of a defense can I use for this ticket? I wasn't even the fastest car on the road, but I have a yellow sports car so it's easy to pick me out of a crowd. In fact, I'm pretty sure many cars were overtaking me for most of that road.

I'd really like to avoid a moving violation and points, and I'm curious as to what kind of defense I can use or bargaining tools I can use with the state attorneys. Also, is there any way to find out what he wrote on the ticket notes (anything and including the method used to determine my speed) before I make a deal with the prosecutor or elect to go to trial)?

Also, the ticket was written up for $191.00 but I read on CT's website that the maximum fine for an infraction is $90.00. Also, it was a clear day and traffic was noted as "light" on the ticket.

Thanks in advance.

TNW

I know this was posted a while ago, but I have found myself in an incredibly similar situation. If you would be so kind as to take a moment to reply, I would be very interested in and appreciative of you sharing your experience and how this turned out for you. Thank you!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I was pulled over in June by a state trooper. At the scene, he kept asking me to admit how fast I was going, which I sort of just said "kind of fast" because I didn't want to admit guilt at the scene.

Also, it sounded like he didn't even get me on radar because I didn't see him running speed enforcement, and it seems like he just visually estimated my speed.

Anyhow, he didn't give me the obligatory "Speeding" ticket, but instead gave me a "travelling unreasonably fast" ticket, and wrote me up for 65 in a 40 (by the time I was pulled over the speed limit had gone up to 55 and soon after it jumps to 65). Also, the spot where he cited my location was about 2.5-3 miles back of where I got pulled over.

Anyhow, what is the difference between "Speeding" and this ticket. What kind of a defense can I use for this ticket? I wasn't even the fastest car on the road, but I have a yellow sports car so it's easy to pick me out of a crowd. In fact, I'm pretty sure many cars were overtaking me for most of that road.

I'd really like to avoid a moving violation and points, and I'm curious as to what kind of defense I can use or bargaining tools I can use with the state attorneys. Also, is there any way to find out what he wrote on the ticket notes (anything and including the method used to determine my speed) before I make a deal with the prosecutor or elect to go to trial)?

Also, the ticket was written up for $191.00 but I read on CT's website that the maximum fine for an infraction is $90.00. Also, it was a clear day and traffic was noted as "light" on the ticket.

Thanks in advance.

I know this was posted a while ago, but I have found myself in an incredibly similar situation. If you would be so kind as to take a moment to reply, I would be very interested in and appreciative of you sharing your experience and how this turned out for you. Thank you!

Hi,

Don't expect a reply .. he has not logged in since 2009...start your own thread .. post a link to a picture of the ticket. State your facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">