• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definitions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I'm trying to find legal/official definitions of a few terms and thought someone here might be able to help.

Definition of vehicle body types. For example, Sport Utility Vehicle, Station Wagon, etc...

Definition of Adverse as it applies to weather and road conditions.

Thanks in advance.

FlyingRon

There's no definition of Sports Utility in the Ohio code.

Federally there isn't either. The definitions vary by what regulation you are dealing with but the general division is "Passenger car", "Multipassenger Vehicles (MPV)", and trucks. The auto industry markets all sorts of things as "sports utility" vehicle when in fact they are designed to meet the regulatory requirements for vehicle safety, mileage, etc... of one of the above categories. Much of the smaller SUV's (even my Chevy Avalanche) are passenger cars. It's a determination the manufacturer makes primarily based on what it is going to cost them to comply with the regulations.

Adverse just means anything that impacts safety. It can be anything from light rain to a tornado.

You're going to have to be more specific in what you are trying to accomplish.

FlyingRon

I'm not convinced it was homework and I hope Mary reinstates the original post.
It sounds like he's in some legal action.

I'm preparing to represent myself on a failure to maintain reasonable control charge and right now I'm just trying to fully understand the citation, police report and crash report.

I am trying to do my own homework, spending several hours a day on it in fact but there are a few things I'm having hard times finding and thought somebody here would already know. I'm not asking you to do any work, just share knowledge and/or ideas if you are so inclined.

Thanks for the responses and in advance for any further comments

FlyingRon

4511 ORC 202 is a pretty subjective thing. Skidding, spinning wheels, and certainly leaving the road or hitting something are usually all that needs to be shown to sustain a violation. Since you are being evasive about providing information nobody here can give you much help (and it is what caused JETX to take issue with your initial post). Adverse road conditions and/or having an SUV are not excuses not to keep your vehicle under control, if that is where you are headed.

It's a lesser offense than 4511 ORC 201 where you are willfully or with wonton disregard of safety failure to maintain control.

I'm not trying to be evasive.
I've been told that it's almost impossible to defend but I'm still inclined to give it a try. My pre trial date is March 12th and I'd love some kind of a deal that kept points off my license, but for now I'm preparing for the worst as much as I can.
I did post the entire scenario and the response was pretty much that it's practically indefensible.

I wasn't thinking that it mattered what type of vehicle I was driving or the road conditions. I was just looking at the ticket and wondering about a few things.

I'm sure that the ticket is fine, I'm just curious because to read the ticket it looks like I was driving a station wagon in decent conditions when I was driving an SUV on the worst snow day of the year. I realize that neither is a defense against the violation nor is the disrepancy in anyway change the facts or the matter.

Since it's basically the foundation of the case against me (along with the police and crash report) I thought I should know as much as I can about it.

Last edited:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/speeding-other-moving-violations-13/toc-wasnt-mine-no-knowledge-452800.html

You don't have much luck, do you?

A station wagon is a passenger vehicle. An SUV is a passenger vehicle.
I understand that they're both passenger vehicles and I don't think that any difference would have any bearing on my defense. I was just curious and I probably wouldn't be except that in each of the reports the report asks the officer to describe the vehicle body type and the description is different in each report.

By the way, I'm not the guy with the open container.

HomeGuru

I understand that they're both passenger vehicles and I don't think that any difference would have any bearing on my defense. I was just curious and I probably wouldn't be except that in each of the reports the report asks the officer to describe the vehicle body type and the description is different in each report.

By the way, I'm not the guy with the open container.
**A: ok, then tell us exactly what happened and why you think you are not guilty.

**A: ok, then tell us exactly what happened and why you think you are not guilty.

Other than the presumption that I'm innocent until proven otherwise?

I'm not sure. I have some time to work on it but right now I'm hoping that they won't be able to or I can make it more difficult for them to prove that I am guilty.

According to the opinions I've gotten here so far I'm guilty and won't be able to defend myself.
To be perfectly honest I feel a little bit ridiculed in these forums but I realize that the wealth of knowledge here is deep and I think I can learn a lot more than I already have on these forums and maybe I can even help myself just a little

HomeGuru

I'm not sure. I have some time to work on it but right now I'm hoping that they won't be able to or I can make it more difficult for them to prove that I am guilty.

According to the opinions I've gotten here so far I'm guilty and won't be able to defend myself.
To be perfectly honest I feel a little bit ridiculed in these forums but I realize that the wealth of knowledge here is deep and I think I can learn a lot more than I already have on these forums and maybe I can even help myself just a little

**A: yada, yada, yada**************....up to this point we still do not know what you actually did.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's what's going to happen.

The prosecution will present their case. It's gonna be a pretty good case. Then, you will have a chance to present yours. Your job will be to prove that they haven't proven their case. What is your defense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">