• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied right to a speedy trial, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lex418787

What is the name of your state? New York

Ok, I have a speeding ticket that I got on the New York State Thruway. My trial is just over 3 months from the date they received my not-guilty plea.

I am building up a defense strategy, but assuming the officer shows up, I want to get the case dismissed due to denied right to a speedy trial. That would be the first layer of my defense, and hopefully the end. I know that there is no set time limit, but 45 days is usually acceptable. This is double that.

Now my question is: When exactly would I make the motion to dismiss due to denied right to a speedy trial? I know it should be towards the beginning of my trial. Should I say that after the prosecutor makes his opening statement? And how exactly should I word it?

Also, I noticed here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=243182 that Peetie had a case dismissed for this exact reason, and in NY too. But unfortunately I cannot find any record of this case online.

Does anyone have links to a traffic case that was dismissed due to denied right to a speedy trial? In NY is preferable, but any cases will do.

Thankyou much
~Lex

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">