• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In desperate need of help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mandy0010

I live in MN. I was issued a speeding ticket by aircraft clock for going 84 in a 65 zone. I was sent a letter informing me that the prosecution may call the two stated troopers as witnesses at the trial. I couldn't make the first court date so I asked for a continuance. They then sent me a new court date, which is next week!

Just a few days ago I received a letter stating who they may call to testify and one of the troopers names was removed and replaced with a different state trooper that lives closer to the courthouse. Does this sound suspicious to anyone? How am I supposed to find out if this new witness was even in the aircraft when I got pulled over. There are only two badge numbers on my ticket, not three!

I am a little confused and am wondering what I am supposed to do about this. Do I ask the prosecuting attorney about it before the court date or bring it up in court? Should I ask for all three troopers to be there so there is less of a chance that they all show up? Do they all have to show up?

Thank You,

HomeGuru

Mandy0010 said:
I live in MN. I was issued a speeding ticket by aircraft clock for going 84 in a 65 zone. I was sent a letter informing me that the prosecution may call the two stated troopers as witnesses at the trial. I couldn't make the first court date so I asked for a continuance. They then sent me a new court date, which is next week!

Just a few days ago I received a letter stating who they may call to testify and one of the troopers names was removed and replaced with a different state trooper that lives closer to the courthouse. Does this sound suspicious to anyone? How am I supposed to find out if this new witness was even in the aircraft when I got pulled over. There are only two badge numbers on my ticket, not three!

I am a little confused and am wondering what I am supposed to do about this. Do I ask the prosecuting attorney about it before the court date or bring it up in court? Should I ask for all three troopers to be there so there is less of a chance that they all show up? Do they all have to show up?

Thank You,

**A: ask for all the troopers to be there.

Mandy0010

How do I ask?

Do I have to call the other trooper as my witness or ask the prosecution to call him as thiers?

Sabor

aircraft

I do not know the laws of MN. But i would highly suggest finding out about speed trap laws in MN. If you have solid laws as compared to CA, you can see if the ticket itself was illegaly inforced. The officer who lives closer to the courthouse has no say in your case, he was not their. This is the same as a officer who pulled you over sending his friend to go to court for him. It is not acceptable. However, one of the officers present during the citation may still be there and that is good enough. I do suggest again speed trap laws, and if only one of the officers shows up whom was NOT in the aircraft, then you can get that easily dismissed by stating he was not present for the citation, hearsay.

Sabor

maybe helpful

This might be helpful, do not know if it applies to your states law.
http://www.jesbeard.com/s12.htm

"A most advantageous problem is that this system relies on two different officers. Consequently, both officers need to be in court for a conviction. It's difficult enough to get one officer there at a specific time and the odds of bringing both into court at the same time are slim. If both officers do happen to attend your trial, request of the court that one officer be removed from the courtroom so that each may be interrogated individually, and possibly contradict each other which would give you the basis for a defense of reasonable doubt. "

Both officers that gave you the ticket I believe here need to be in court, not j ust any two officers. Look into it further... let me know.

sukharev

let 'em fly...

Ask for another continuance, see if you can get it. On the grounds you just described: you need to submit discovery on this officer, and since you just learned about him, it's probably appropriate. Do use discovery, it's the best tool

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">